RIP Matt Odietus of the Candy Snatchers

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
phlemmy

RIP Matt Odietus of the Candy Snatchers

Post by phlemmy »

Matt was the guitarist for Norfolk, VA based punk band The Candy Snatchers. These guys have been around since 1992. I found out this morning that Matt was dead. It wasn't stated what killed him but anyone who has known Matt in the last 3-4 years knows what did. Heroin. That band had always been drunk and drugged up, but usually it stopped at cocaine. Matt found his way to the needle about 4 years ago. About a year before I had moved from Virginia to Texas, we were in discussions to start a space rock band ala Hawkwind. But I started seeing the signs of his drug use. He got fired from his cook's job that he had been working since 1999. He started selling off his record collection, probably the biggest record collection I had ever seen. Seeing him around the neighborhood he'd walk by you and not even notice or recognize his friends. Before his heroin addiction, Matt was one of the nicest guys in the world, even when drunk and coked up, he was one of those guys that it was hard to not like.

Today I'm sad...for Matt...his friends...his family...the punk scene. It's a big loss.

RIP brother.

www.myspace.com/thecandysnatchers
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Re: RIP Matt Odietus of the Candy Snatchers

Post by whojamfan »

What a shame, stupid heroin, I've lost a few close friends to it, and many of my favorite musicians. Sorry for your loss.

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”