"Punk" songs by non-punk artists

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
sowhat
RRF Consultant

"Punk" songs by non-punk artists

Post by sowhat »

What ho or whatever,
just interested how many songs now associated with rebel music (successfully covered by a few or many rebellious acts) but written and originally performed by non-rebellious artists you could remember? My take.
1. "I fought the law" — Bobby Fuller Four. Covered by the Clash, Dead Kennedys, Billy Bragg and even (yuck) Green Day among others.

2. "Real wild child/Wild one" — Johnny O'Keefe & the Dee Jays. Covered by Iggy Pop and Joan Jett among others.

Your choices?
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Re: "Punk" songs by non-punk artists

Post by rkbsound »

"I Wanna Be Your Man" covered by Iggy Pop (w/Stooges?).

The Theme to "Spiderman" by the Ramones. The Ramones probably had a ton. They also did a killer version of "Surfin' Bird".
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Nirvana's version of David Bowie's "The Man Who Sold The World" is one of my favorites. I like it better than the original.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/72oaxDIWvfk&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/72oaxDIWvfk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
All I wanna do is rock!
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

The Rezillos did a great cover of Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonigh, originally by Earl Vince and the Valiants (a pseudonym for Fleetwood Mac). They also did Glad All Over by the Dave Clarke Five.

The Clash did tons of covers of old ska & rocksteady songs (Wrong'em Boyo, Police on my Back, Pressure Drop, Police & Thieves) as did the Specials - even songs credited to them on their debut album are filled with classic rocksteady riffs.

The Sex Pistols also did a bunch of covers when they first started out. The best of the bunch was Stepping Stone by the Monkees. It sounds downright menacing when the Pistols did it.

brianb

Post by brianb »

The Circle Jerks doing jackie DeShannon's " Put a Little Love in Your Heart."
berth
RRF Consultant

Post by berth »

Sesamstraat (sesame street) by Dutch Punkband Frites Modern.

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”