Weirdest punk/alternative band?

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Weirdest punk/alternative band?

Post by sowhat »

Hello all,
yes i know the word "weird" sounds — ahem — a bit weird in that context, but still. Whom you'd call the weirdest? Appearance-wise, sound-wise, whatever-wise.
Criteria of weirdness? Well, whatever you can think of. That is to say, like, if you think that punk band in expensive suits and ties and perfect haircuts or a band with a female lead singer with an opera voice are weird, so be it. Just an example, it's up to you to decide.
Cheers.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
collin

Re: Weirdest punk/alternative band?

Post by collin »

GG Allin and the Murder Junkies.

"Weird" on a number of disturbing levels.
wayang

Post by wayang »

Sheena, I'm sure you're going to get many responses, and it will be enjoyable to see the list come together. I'll join in with a vote for these guys:

I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
akhv

Post by akhv »

The Residents are the weirdest band ever to me. They are so weird I wouldn't call them alternative, or anything for that matter.
Anyway they are great :)

wayang

Post by wayang »

Great choice, Ashot! I have a good friend who plays in Gamelan Sekar Jaya, the San Francisco Balinese orchestra, who was the Residents' keyboard player. I couldn't agree more with you, they're a great band.
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
danbind

Post by danbind »

I'd have to call it a tie between Journey and the Little River Band. And Supertramp.
pfflam

Post by pfflam »

Duckmandu, AKA, Aaron Seeman, plays the Dead Kennedys - not the best audio<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zOSKzB1Ay8w&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zOSKzB1Ay8w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Sheena, I'm sure you're going to get many responses, and it will be enjoyable to see the list come together. I'll join in with a vote for these guys:
Uh-oh. :shock: Yes, that sure is weird.
2 Ashot: right, Residents are among the first who come to mind.
Not the weirdest one, but still. The image, while not being new and unique (hey, we've all faced quite a few "faceless" bands before) is kinda cool (eggs and a dog, eh?) and promising, and one may expect something funny from these guys, but in fact it's all the same commercial pop stuff.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
Tarrbot
Intermediate Member

Post by Tarrbot »

I'd have to suggest Drunk Injuns.

From Wikipedia:
The Drunk Injuns is a skate punk band formed in 1983. The band members wear masks that resemble Indian ghost warriors. They claim to believe the masks allow them to channel the spirit world to gain control of their bodies and play better music.
She Got's A Gun (I believe this is a later video compilation without masks. Sounds weak and slow, IMO)

Walked In Line (Good Cover, IMO)

bge66

Post by bge66 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic_TV

Although the last I payed attention was in the late 80's...they may have become more mundane with age. God knows I have.
pfflam

Post by pfflam »

Psychic TV -and Throbbing Gristle, the Residents - that stuff!! now we're talking good and weird!!

that Injun stuff . .. . not very weird
fluffy
Intermediate Member

Post by fluffy »

pfflam wrote:Psychic TV -and Throbbing Gristle, the Residents - that stuff!! now we're talking good and weird!!

that Injun stuff . .. . not very weird
holy **** I'm not the only one that's heard of Throbbing Gristle and Psychic T.V. I had a friend in high school that was nuts about those guys .. but I believe THE weirdest stuff I've ever heard is a "band" from Nor.Cal called Rubber (O) Cement. by gum they were just odd. I think runner up would have to go to Negativeland. there are tons out there though, in fact there's a whole genre of "music" that sounds like what you hear on the radio when you're looking for music to listen to. not the songs,mind you , but the stuff between the stations :lol: :lol: and they all do it on purpose!!! I think it's called "experimental".. like how many different electronic devices can we have making different noises at one time :roll:
♪♫♪♫I need new strings, these ones have a bunch of dang wrong notes on 'em ♫♪♫♪

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/thesubtleties
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

LOVE the Residents! This might be my favorite track off "The Commercial Album":

Renaldo and the Loaf was many bands I discovered through them:

- Scott
fluffy
Intermediate Member

Post by fluffy »

wayang wrote:Sheena, I'm sure you're going to get many responses, and it will be enjoyable to see the list come together. I'll join in with a vote for these guys:

any guesses w hat kind of brownie that is he's munching on???? :lol: :lol:
♪♫♪♫I need new strings, these ones have a bunch of dang wrong notes on 'em ♫♪♫♪

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/thesubtleties
cestlamort

Post by cestlamort »

This may fall into the proto-punk category, but the Shaggs are simply baffling.

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”