Hollywood Fats

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
morrow

Hollywood Fats

Post by morrow »

The Hollywood Fats Band only did one recording but it was a huge influence on so many players around here .

I recently found a youtube with the Fats playing with James Harman ....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rAiflh4LWK4
peewee
Intermediate Member

Re: Hollywood Fats

Post by peewee »

Your best bets on finding other Fats recordings are with Harman or Rod Piazza. Jerry Hall's Pacific Blues Recording Company recently reissued Harman's "Strictly Live in '85" which features both Fats and a very young Dave Ramos. Not a bad recording except for some knucklehead in the audience trying to keep time on an ashtray! Other Harman releases where you can find him playing are "Extra Napkins & "Mo' Napkins", both of which are stellar.

A couple of other records that feature Fats are Rod Piazza's "Harpburn" that was released on the now defunct Blacktop label and Piazza's "Vintage Live 1975" on Tone-Cool. On "Harpburn", Fats shares duties with both Jr. Watson and Alex Schultz. On "Vintage Live 1975", he's paired with George Phelps.

I believe there was also a two CD set that was issued recently that had outtakes and unreleased material from the Hollywood Fats Band sessions. If you're a hardcore fan, it's worth the scratch. When he passed away at the all too young age of 32 from an overdose , he'd just take over the guitar duties in The Blasters from Dave Alvin.
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

I'll have to check him out later. Cool name tho! My pc is running xm radio here at work so I don;t want to stop to watch the vid. I can catch it tonight. Thanks for the post!!!'
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I saw the James Harman band with all of the original members(indluding Hollywood Fats and Kid Ramos) back in `83 at the original Golden Bear in Huntington Beach, CA. The Paladins opened up for them. I went with a couple of friends I'd known since grade school. One of my friends' older sister was married to James Harman's drummer at the time, Steven Hodges, which was why we knew about the show in the first place. The club was cool, we could get in even though we were under 18, we just had to buy some expensive non-alcoholic drinks or something like that.

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”