Blues' Popularity Dying?

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
rickenpicker

Re: Blues' Popularity Dying?

Post by rickenpicker »

My son ( 19 ) and a few of his friends are in a wannabe (no gigs yet) metal band. He plays his Epi SG with great energy and metal verve. But when I hear him play just by himself for his own pleasure, I always hear him drifting into various blues runs and rifts. He borrows what few blues CDs I have -- Sonny and Brownie, SRV (I know, he has his detractors), The Black Keys and the like, and listens to them.

I don't know what it all means, but it does my old heart good
robbo63

Post by robbo63 »

I just read this article, "End of the Roadhouse":

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02228.html

A lot of what's been said in this thread is echoed in the article. I never visited the place, perhaps Mike is familiar with it?
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

tamborineman wrote:i'm not for drinking and driving or playing guitar but mothers against drunk drivers has done a great job of closing many music venues.
No kidding. The legal limit's been reduced to .008 in CA, which is ridiculous. I'd love to see a statistic that shows that lowering the BAL limit to .008 from .010 has done anything other than scare people away from going out for a couple of drinks. Well, it's probably made some MADD members and politicians happy, but that's about it.
tamborineman

Post by tamborineman »

Same here in Michigan Paul. As a former resident of California I can also point out that in both states, DUI arrests are a major source of income for municipalities, especially in otherwise low crime areas, where police can concentrate thier efforts.
One other thought, I have been trying to get club owners to consider earlier entertainment hours. 6 to 9 or 10 for example or a sunday matinee. In Great Britan don't they kick out the jams for the lunch crowd. :idea:
peewee
Intermediate Member

Post by peewee »

robbo63 wrote:I just read this article, "End of the Roadhouse":

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02228.html

A lot of what's been said in this thread is echoed in the article. I never visited the place, perhaps Mike is familiar with it?
Hey Rob!

I'm very familiar with Chick's; I was there for the last time just a week ago today actually. I recall when these types of places were scattered all over the DC/MD/VA region. One by one, they're all being shut down due to one reason or another. About the only "joint" that's left anymore is JV's which will have been in business for 61 years in '08 and owned by the same family for that entire run. As much as Chick's was/is a dump, you always felt welcomed there. Just another sign that the times are changing.... :(
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

tamborineman wrote:... I have been trying to get club owners to consider earlier entertainment hours. 6 to 9 or 10 for example or a sunday matinee. :idea:
That would certainly be quite attractive for those of us who play in what are rapidly being labeled geezer (or more politely) dad bands.

JimK
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

Not one mention of John Mayer, who's trying to make it his form of music now after his last studio album and live album. Might still be too pop, but he's trying to bring back guitar solos, no matter how limited he is. I've seen him live, and it was a good mix between the blues and pop stuff he's known for. His solos were good, even if he's trying to be a straight up clone of SRV (voice, guitar useage, sig model, string gauge).
tamborineman

Post by tamborineman »

jimk wrote:
tamborineman wrote:... I have been trying to get club owners to consider earlier entertainment hours. 6 to 9 or 10 for example or a sunday matinee. :idea:
That would certainly be quite attractive for those of us who play in what are rapidly being labeled geezer (or more politely) dad bands.

JimK
Jim it would also be more attractive for the 'old geezer' customers who actually TIP the waiteress & bartenders, don't arrive pre- medicated, order some food, don't start fights, appreciate the music...., OK well most of them, you get point. :!:
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

tamborineman wrote:
Jim it would also be more attractive for the 'old geezer' customers who actually TIP the waiteress & bartenders, don't arrive pre- medicated, order some food, don't start fights, appreciate the music...., OK well most of them, you get point. :!:
Precisely. :mrgreen:

JimK
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

I just turned 19 this week, and bands playing early would be a plus for me too!!

btw, I can't give big tips because of my small university student sized budget, but I always give what I can! so there!
tamborineman

Post by tamborineman »

I here you Nick. I still want young people to come on out. But we have to make it easier for ole' mom and dad to join in fun. 8)
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Good on ya, Nick. We all do what we can. :)

JimK

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”