Brian Medway's "It's Only Rock 'n Roll

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
admin
Site Admin

Brian Medway's "It's Only Rock 'n Roll

Post by admin »

Please welcome Brian Medway as he takes over the consultant duties on the newest topic area entitled "It's Only Rock 'n Roll, But I like It." You can visit this new topic area under Music History and Interpretation Forums.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Brian Medway's "It's Only Rock 'n Roll

Post by jingle_jangle »

Welcome, Brian. I'm looking forward to an interesting journey! Where do we start?
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Very cool, congrats and welcome, Brian!
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Thanks very much guys,

Hey Paul the fun has already started. Perhaps you and George can share some stories about forming North of Malibu for us. I would love to hear about how the band got started and how you guys met Dick Dale, where you recorded and what gear was used, who is managing the business aspects of the band, how you are coping with getting gigs, your favourite memories so far, the toughest things about being part of a gigging band, expectations of your fans etc. Please feel free to start a thread. I would rather enjoy reading about your journey as I am sure others would.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Ha! Cool. Good job, man. That must be a lot of fun. Congrats! :D
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Congratulations, mate!! Looking forward to some very interesting reading. I like your suggestion to Paul and George regarding their exploits with NOM.
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

OOh ya! My 2nd favorite music genre!!! ("Blues had a baby, etc........) One thing i find fun to do wirh rock is to trace a career through the various bands, and records they showed up on/in. For instance, Peter Frampton's first band, the Herd. That is the only reason I know about this band at all.

Anyways, congrats and looking forward to some fun discussions!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Thanks Charly,

Yes the blues had a baby is right. I'll be posting an interesting Rock and Roll timeline that I found on the web in the near future. It traces Rock and Roll's roots back way further than I had imagined.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Brian, what exactly will this forum be about?
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for asking it's actually a pretty broad scope,

Come and visit, there's a brief description in the announcement (so I won't repeat it here) and you'll find that there are some topics that I have started off. I want to encourage forum members to start topics that are of interest to them so the process of sharing experiences can truly begin.

melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Hey Brian, congrats! This sounds like a cool new Forum stop that will be worth checking out! :D
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

Still no metal section huh? :D
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
2011/05 Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass
2005/11 Fender Standard Jazz Bass
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Thanks Melissa,

Hopefully you'll get a chance to stop by. :)

winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

nattiep wrote:Still no metal section huh? :D

We can discuss metal if you wish. I am very familiar with metal arists and the business concepts that apply in that area. I suspect that Sheena is also comfortable with your preferred genre, if you would prefer to discuss metal aritists there.

charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Most folks usually mean the second or third wave of metal. We had few genres of rock in 72 IMHO. There was progressive rock, as expressed by Yes, ELP, Rush, etc. There was acid rock, which was a loose term that covered a lot of ground. I like to put Traffic, Jethro Tull, Moody Blues, etc. in there. What WE called metal in the day, was Black Sabbath, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Grand Funk, all the power chord guys. All these bands also fit the broad category of "It's only rock n roll.

I had the chance to speak with Tommy Lee in his home a few years ago, and mentioned to him, that I considered his band a big part of the second wave of heavy metal. All those guys, Motley Crue, Motorhead, Judas Priest, etc. I think after those folks, metal split into more factions, and there are more categories to define bands. I hear the term shred, and it is certainly born out of the metal genre.

At least that's my take, what say you?

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”