Marketing Strategies: 'Tis The Season

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
admin
Site Admin

Marketing Strategies: 'Tis The Season

Post by admin »

Brian: I am sure that you will touch upon this subject area, sooner of later. Should my comments be premature, I apolgize. I would like to address what most of us saw as a transparent strategy in the marketing of groups in the 1960s.

There are many approaches that might be taken in discussing marketing strategies, but from a fan perspective the timing of the release of albums for some groups could not be overlooked. The amusing thing, however, is it did not matter to a teenage audience as long as the records kept coming.

To illustrate my point, consider the Christmas releases of The Beatles. Not only did they cleverly market Christmas wishes to fans on their release of 45s during the 1960s but the timing of the release of Bealtes' albums was perfect for Christmas. Coincidence, not likely. To this day, I associate the Christmas period with The Beatles.

Of course, this strategy was used by many groups and the Beach Boy period seemed to coincide with summer.

I am wondering whether the date of release is something carefully considered by the managers of artists or whether this view is too simplistic. I would appreciate your thoughts or those of others with differing points of view.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
winston
Membership Admin

Re: Marketing Strategies: 'Tis The Season

Post by winston »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for bringing this question to the fore.

Back in the 60's marketing excutives from various major labels in the music industry were known to communicate with each other and also industry papers like the New Musical Express so that they could ensure that there was minimal "interference" with each other. Of course in todays market with information being so readilly available on the internet many companies and artists issue press releases to communicate their intent. I get press releases for example from Paul McCartney, because I subscribe to his website.

Brian Epstein was the consumate business man. His contribution to the success of the Beatles has been overshadowed to some degree by the band's incredible contribution to popular music. I feel fairly confident in my view that he along with the assistance of George Martin and other lable executives may have "engineered" recording dates and issue dates with Parlophone EMI etc.

It has alway been a widely held belief in the music industry that one hit record at Christmas will set you up for life. Consider the hit that Bing Crosby had with his recording of "White Christmas".

Now that you have kicked this topic off, we can further explore this very interesting area of the music business business. Obviously timing of an artists release becomes a very important consideration in the grand scheme of things.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Sales depend on traffic so how to get buyers into the stores for your new release. If potential buyers are already out shopping (Christmas) a good part of that battle is won. I may be off here but it seems that I'm seeing less "new" musical release at Christmas time but much more re-packaging of existing material=box sets.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

My two cents, marketing has changed significantly since the '60's. For one, artists aren't under the same constraints as the Beatles, Stones, etc, were in the '60's. The Beatles had no control over their U.S. releases until the very end of their career as a group. For the longest they were under the gun to release two albums per year, making it easy to have one of those released near the Holidays.
For a major group to put out more than one release a year is nearly unheard of. Today, you will generally find a release of some form of a Greatest Hits during the Holiday season. For some artists, one new cut is tossed on the disc as extra incentive for the buyer. Invariably this same cut will be released for airplay to help boost sales. If there is no new material to add, labels have come up with a way to re-package numerous greatest hits under different guises, again and again.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

buzfluhart wrote:My two cents, marketing has changed significantly since the '60's.
I quite agree Stan,

Market influences are more fluid today in some respects but they are just as predictable as in the past. Unlike the 60's, today trends and data can be captured very easily through computerized point of sale equipment. Record executives also are not as willing to bet the farm on a hunch anymore. They look for the easy dollar. That's why we are hearing music that is similar in approach and content to the extent that we are. Turn on any radio and number of single female artists with similar vocal and backing arrangements is mind numbing. For a while every hip hop group sounded the same, and the same can be said to some degree of many emerging rap artists. It's quite simply, music to a formula. It's not always pretty but it sells.

In the 50' and 60's for most middle class British and American families Christmas represented a time when they could "splurge" and go and buy that New Stones or Beatles album that just appeared in the record stores. The whole distribution chain back then was entirely different to the model we know today. Most buyers today are quite able to buy or download any music format they wish on an individual or collective basis on most any given day of the week. As technology changes so does the distribution model.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

As far as successful marketing strategies go, none is more successful IMO than that of Kiss. A 1977 Gallup poll named Kiss the most popular band in America. In Japan, Kiss performed five sold-out shows at Budokan Hall, breaking the previous record of four held by The Beatles.

Their business strategy has been designed to give the band and in particular Gene Simmons, absolute control over every aspect of the band from music to products.

Gene is a self confessed workaholic. He lives and breathes Kiss products, memorabilia etc. He is always on the lookout for new or emerging methodologies to market the band and its products.

I had the pleasure of meeting this hardworking, very entertaining band in a professional capacity many years ago. They really impressed me with their drive, their sensibility and their understanding of how the music business works. They were students of the craft back then. Now I believe they are masters of their craft.

They are so successful that I believe that they are worthy of a case study of their own.

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”