Your Favourite Song That Features A Fretless Bass

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
wints
Veteran RRF member

Re: Your Favourite Song That Features A Fretless Bass

Post by wints »

The innovative Mick Karn...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKg3QyHF70U
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Wow! That was great. What a good band too............I am really getting to broaden my horizons a lot because I bought a fretless. Thanks Andrew.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

wints wrote:The innovative Mick Karn...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKg3QyHF70U
Man, I used to have an RD Artist guitar! :(
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

rickenbrother wrote: Every Time You Go Away - by Paul Young, is a pop song with some nice fretless playing and tone that I think was done by Pino Palladino.
Yeah, Paul Young....Everything Must Change , and last but not least : Wherever I Lay My Hat ! What a wonderful song, I always thought it was a Hall And Oats song, no ...MARVIN GAYE ! :o
Thanks Brian, for this thread :) you started the search engine of the hard disc in my head (wasn't there a fretless, or in there.. :idea: .?), a good chance to remeber and to pull out one after another of the countless vinyl records or CDs down in the basement, it all comes up again :D
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Oh Man................now this is a bass player. :shock: :shock: :shock:

“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

winston wrote:Oh Man................now this is a bass player. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Very personable fellow, too. :D I have seen Michael a couple times, once with his old band Montreux, and more recently with stickist Greg Howard. Got a bunch of both of their CDs.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

This one's not dead yet : turned on my radio in the car today and there was John Farnham's "You're The Voice". On the album cover the fretless was credited to Roger McLachlan, never heard of him before, maybe from OZ..
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

rickenbrother wrote:Every Time You Go Away - by Paul Young, is a pop song with some nice fretless playing and tone that I think was done by Pino Palladino.
Wow, GREAT call Joey! I was familiar with the song but the bass playing didn't jump out at me until I saw this:

This guy just nails it. Right bass too!
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

Sadly not available here in Germany :(
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

Probably not a song you think of when you think fretless 'cause the bass sound isn't real "fretlessy" but I have a fondness for "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" by Elton John.
For a few reasons:
1. It's a great song.
2. The bass player, the late Dee Murray, was my inspiration to take up bass back in the 70s.
3. I own the bass used on the recording, an early Steinberger L2, purchased from Dee's widow.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

sloop_john_b wrote:
rickenbrother wrote:Every Time You Go Away - by Paul Young, is a pop song with some nice fretless playing and tone that I think was done by Pino Palladino.
Wow, GREAT call Joey! I was familiar with the song but the bass playing didn't jump out at me until I saw this:

I like the electric sitar on that tune, I've got one, I think I'll figure THAT part out!
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

iamthebassman wrote:Probably not a song you think of when you think fretless 'cause the bass sound isn't real "fretlessy" but I have a fondness for "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" by Elton John.
For a few reasons:
1. It's a great song.
2. The bass player, the late Dee Murray, was my inspiration to take up bass back in the 70s.
3. I own the bass used on the recording, an early Steinberger L2, purchased from Dee's widow.
:shock: :shock: :shock: It's a righty correctly strung bass! :shock: :shock: :shock:
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

jps wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock: It's a righty correctly strung bass! :shock: :shock: :shock:
18000 posts and you don't know that Ronn strings his basses that way? Tsk tsk.

:lol:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Just wait till you get to our wisely age, young whipper snapper! :mrgreen:
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

sloop_john_b wrote:

That guy does a great job!! Nice fretless Musicman Sabre.

One more song that I just realized after listening to a few days ago, just the very last few bars of "Watching The Wheels" by John Lennon, Tony Levin gets the last few lines in on a fretless bass. That's one of my favorites John Lennon songs. Tony Levin's bass lines in that song are really sweet.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”