BB King: Live at the Regal

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
hamilton_square

BB King: Live at the Regal

Post by hamilton_square »

For One Night Only is an ongoing series of BBC Radio 4 half-hourly documentary programs hosted by New York born Paul Gamaccini that looks behind the scenes at what went into the making of classic live albums.

The most recent broadcast of For One Night Only looks at how, on the 21st November 1964 at the Regal Theatre, Chicago, the classic live recording of BB King: Live at the Regal was put together …
Album Cover.jpg
CLICK HERE to listen to the broadcast
winston
Membership Admin

Re: BB King: Live at the Regal

Post by winston »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for posting this. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Peter: May I please echo Brian's comments. Thanks for this marvelous time capsule. To think that BB continues after 15,000 performances is a gig record that I suspect that few performers have equaled.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
dblacker

Post by dblacker »

Hey that's a great find. Where can I tune into the series? I know you said BBC, but do you have any other info, like a link or air times, etc. I would love to catch that. One my favorite BB albums...
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

dblacker wrote:Hey that's a great find. Where can I tune into the series? I know you said BBC, but do you have any other info, like a link or air times, etc.
Now in its 6th series (of 4 x 30-minute programs per series) on BBC Radio 4, FOR ONE NIGHT ONLY re-visits the occasions on which classic live albums were recorded. However, the program doesn’t exclusively focus on any particular genre of music; rather it ranges across the full spectrum of live recorded albums.

For example, previous to the BB King: Live at the Regal broadcast, the program looked into the 1960 comedy classic live recording of the Button-Down Mind of Bob Newhart. While, the next scheduled broadcast in the series examines the December, 2000 recording of Sir Colin Davies conducting the London Symphony Orchestra in the epic Berlioz opera, Les Troyens.

Also, it is worth noting that while (with the exception of films) ALL BBC TV & Radio programs are both, available to watch and listen to ‘in real-time’ via the BBC iPLAYER and are stored online for a period of seven days following a broadcast to watch and listen to again. Direct online access too much of its TV programming and also, to some of its Radio output is blocked to IP addresses that originate from outside the UK. This is done for copyright reasons and because it is a legal requirement for all households in the UK who own at least one television to pay an annual licence fee (currently £145.50) which in turn, goes to fund the various activities of the BBC. The Corporation very much frowns on making its content freely available to online viewers and listeners who have not contributed via the public licensing levy to its annual funding requirements.

Because of this it has become the practice of many British ex-pats living and working outside the UK to access the likes of the BBC iPlayer via a virtual private network [VPN] software server program that originates an IP address from within the UK. While such pay-as-you-view monthly subscriptions to a VPN server are generally more reliable than that of any number of freely available VPN software server programs. When in Spain (which is when I am generally outside the UK during the winter months) the VPN server program I use to freely access the BBC is THIS ONE. However, while the program works fine for me when in Spain, I have no idea of its functionality when used to access UK TV and Radio content from other countries.

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”