The Kinks

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

The Kinks

Post by JakeK »

They've been discussed here before...in the "Rick Artists" board. The late Pete Quaife used a 1999 from late '64-mid '66, while Dave Davies owned a '65 360/12 fireglo.

I've always been a Kinks head, ever since I bought their Ultimate Collection (2007 reissue) in '08. I found out yesterday that my best friend (same one who bought me the Animals' Retrospective last Christmas) bought me The Kinks' Picture Book box set (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Picture-Book-6C ... 793&sr=8-1) for me this year for Christmas. Is this a good way to keep rolling with the Kinks?

Something else I have my eye on is the newly released The Kinks in Mono (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... d_i=468294). I do plan to get this at some point in 2012. It looks VERY tempting, sort of The Kinks' version of The Beatles in Mono. The remastering team who did this set were the same one who did the 2007 Ultimate Collection reissue, Picture Book and all the Deluxe Editions. Based on what I heard on Ultimate Collection, I won't be disappointed!

Yes, if you haven't kept up, all the Kinks albums from the 1964 debut through Village Green Preservation Society were reissued in two disc (three for Village Green) Deluxe Edition form in the UK. I initally planned to get them, but then when Alex got me Picture Book AND when Kinks In Mono was released, I think I'll be satisfied for a while.

Who here are/are not Kinks fans? Ray Davies is one heck of a songwriter. It's a shame that Mick Avory and Dave Davies have enough friction not to play together. I'd love to see the surviving members reunite.
winston
Membership Admin

Re: The Kinks

Post by winston »

JakeK wrote: I'd love to see the surviving members reunite.
Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen............the acrimony runs pretty deep.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I saw the Kinks with Joan Jett in Hollyweird in the mid 80s and they were awesome! Always have been and always will be a big time Kinks fan. Ray Davies can write circles around his contemporaries that were more famous,IMHO :D
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I think that Ray is one of the greatest talents in rock. I saw them also mid-Eighties at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley and it was a great show. They were well suited to the arena format. Dave was/is a tremendous guitarist. He's quoted as saying, "They didn't call it heavy metal back when I invented it". Gotta love it. They were banned from traveling, for fighting onstage, from '65 to '69 IIRC, which cost them a lot of momentum as a contender for super stardom, but to me they will always be one of the four pillars of the British Invasion.
All I wanna do is rock!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

If you like "TKATVGPS" there is a really good volume in the 33 1/3 series on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Kinks-Village-Pre ... 0826414982
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

winston wrote:
Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen............the acrimony runs pretty deep.
Maybe Ray and Dave could face off in a celebrity rocker boxing match, featuring an opening bout between Noel and Liam Gallageher. . . :lol:

I like the Kinks; we played "I Need You" a couple of jams back. :)
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

paologregorio wrote:
winston wrote:
Maybe Ray and Dave could face off in a celebrity rocker boxing match, featuring an opening bout between Noel and Liam Gallageher. . . :lol:
What a great suggestion............Reality TV - Rocker Boxing. :lol: :lol: :lol: Dave would lose I suspect because Ray would beat him senseless with his cane. :wink:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

winston wrote:What a great suggestion............Reality TV - Rocker Boxing. :lol: :lol: :lol: Dave would lose I suspect because Ray would beat him senseless with his cane. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

I saw them April 2nd or 3rd '71 at the Eastown Theater in Detroit. Thanks to The Motor City Archives dates are easy to find.
"The best things in life aren't things."
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I scored Kinks in Mono as a birthday present from a family member. Here's a review I sent to a member contemplating it, maybe he'll see it here, too:

If you are contemplating pulling the trigger: DO IT. The remasters are incredible...a huge difference to the 1998 Castle/2004 Sanctuary remasters. I'm glad I didn't get the Deluxe Edition reissues (bar Village Green Preservation Society) of the albums [contained in the set], because it was truly worth it.

Unlike The Beatles' or Bob Dylan's mono sets, while keeping the concept of mini-LPs, are not, instead being housed in gatefold sleeves (and when opened up, has CD-style track listing, personnel, and a period picture) without the bells and whistles of a vinyl record, making them more ideal for car transportation, and like Bob and the lads, the discs themselves are in protective inner sleeves.

It is missing the 1967 single "Mr. Pleasant"/"This Is Where I Belong", but I'm not too chuffed as I have both sides on the Picture Book box set. On the EPs disc, "You Really Got Me" and "Till The End Of The Day" appear again, despite being on Kinks and Kink Kontroversy respectively. Also, it is unknown (unless you really care, in that case, you can go online and find out) who did the remastering, but I've heard it was whoever did the 2011 Deluxe Edition reissues. Aside from those odd omissions/inclusions, the set gets a 4/5 rating, simply because the remastering is incredible and is an attractive way to get the band's early years in the format Ray Davies preferred his work in. Whoever [passed] it up because of the lack of the "Mr. Pleasant" single, they're crazy. :P

According to kindakinks.net (the ultimate place for all things Kinky), the set is now sold out and it is unknown if Sanctuary Records/Universal UK will be pressing another batch. Shame on them, because it's really good. Maybe the next batch will have the "Mr. Pleasant" single?
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Oh The Kooks, great ba-

Wait....
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

JakeK wrote:making them more ideal for car transportation
Why on earth would you drag along these discs if you can rip them in high audio quality and listen to them on a smart phone? :?:

For the rest, thanks for the review, Jake. My want list has grown again now :D
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
1a12

Post by 1a12 »

I love the Kinks. I could fill volumes on why...sonically, musically, lyrically, philosophically etc. etc. In various units, they fought for balance at times and somehow achieved it...Sure, there are certain eras that are stronger, (my fav is the classic lineup) but like Bowie, I still know Ray can surprise at any time.
opticnerve
Advanced Member

Post by opticnerve »

kiramdear wrote:...to me they will always be one of the four pillars of the British Invasion.
Agree!
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Wildberry wrote:Why on earth would you drag along these discs if you can rip them in high audio quality and listen to them on a smart phone? :?:

For the rest, thanks for the review, Jake. My want list has grown again now :D
Some people (like my parents) don't do MP3 players and/or smart phones. But, I'm with you too. The gatefolds are cool nonetheless.

My favorite album is probably Face to Face, because the band seemed tight and the creativity was starting to ooze out of them. Don't get me wrong, the albums that followed are great, too, but Face to Face is the start of, as Ray would say, "Something Better Beginning". Kink Kontroversy isn't too shabby either. The 1964 debut album was a little wayward, though. "You Really Got Me", "Stop Your Sobbing" and the covers of "Beautiful Delilah" and "Got Love If You Want It" are the standouts for me, however.

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”