Rush, BR style!!!

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Rush, BR style!!!

Post by jps »

I agree, leave Jaco be and create an original tone. Some guys just can't do that, unfortunately.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Back in '89 when I saw ABWH in SoCal at the Pacific Amphitheater, I was really stoked to see Tony Levin play. Then they come out and I hear THAT tone! Argh! I said to my girlfriend at the time "I don't know who that is on bass, but his playing is so sterile. It sounds like he's reading Squire's parts off of sheet music". Then the sun went down and I saw the light on JB's music stand. While JB's sound was close enough to Levin's, it didn't fit with the four guys playing classic YES. I'm sure he was there because of Bruford, but IMHO, it was a bad fit.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Dane-he was there because Tony had a serious illness,and had to miss that and other dates,too.I thought it was unfortunate that one of those dates was the one being filmed for the ABWH concert dvd. They actually opened their U.S. tour in Memphis,of all places,and TL was in great form,and he pretty much tweaked his sound to be more clanky like Chris'. (albeit from active MM basses and TE amps.) They sounded great,except i remember wishing BB had left the electronic drum kit home.
In JB's defense,he WAS reading the material,as he had next to no preparation time to study the music,and was not exactly a big Yes music fan to start with.

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”