Ginger Baker Documentary

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
8mileshigher

Ginger Baker Documentary

Post by 8mileshigher »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/movie ... .html?_r=1&

An interesting write-up on an upcoming documentary film, on one of the better drummers of all-time, 8) Ginger Baker !
:D
chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Re: Ginger Baker Documentary

Post by chrisdski »

http://bewareofmrbaker.com/media/

check out the movie trailer
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

I can't wait to see it.
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

:lol: ''I'm gonna put you in F..... hospital'' :lol: . This is gonna be a great film.
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

Within the last month I have read a series of articles regarding Mr. Baker's exploits over the last few years -- leaving my home-state of Colorado after tangling with US immigration and the IRS; moving to South Africa to start a polo team; being kicked-out of South Africa because (allegedly) his all-African polo team beat the white guys; moving to Nigeria, and receiving death threats from the family of a bank teller whom he was suing because she stole $50,000 from his account -- and I have the utmost confidence that this film is going to be totally awesome.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

There are a few references to Ginger Baker in this excellent online bio of Jack Bruce:
http://whereseric.com/eric-clapton-news ... ***-now-we

Let's just say they had relationship issues . . . :roll:
8mileshigher

Ginger Baker Documentary

Post by 8mileshigher »

DriftSpace wrote:moving to Nigeria, and receiving death threats from the family of a bank teller whom he was suing because she stole $50,000 from his account --
I can't believe Baker was trusting anybody enough to put $50,000 in any Nigerian bank ......
:roll: :(
Must be the brain-cells destroyed from the drugs ingested during the 60s and 70s ....
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

I just got back from seeing this, and it was very well-made, informative, and entertaining. I appreciated the subtext that drummers can have an incredible influence on the band, but are not financially compensated because of the structure of music laws. (Not that Mr. Baker thoughtfully spent the piles of cash he did manage to earn, but whether or not someone deserves to earn something and how they spend those earnings are separate issues.) It was also great to hear directly from the mouths of people like Eric Clapton that Baker was beyond just being a rock drummer; Baker was a "fully-formed musician," and is even regarded as a jazz giant by the very drummers who influenced Baker: Art Blakey and Phil Seaman.

The animation was excellent, as were the candid interviews with music legends. I highly recommend this to anyone who has a remote interest in perhaps the most fruitful and influential eras of modern music, and the journey of a dysfunctional legend within (and beyond) that period.

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”