No Quarter

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
jps
RRF Consultant

No Quarter

Post by jps »

Very cool version, sort of what a King Crimson, Genesis and Heart collaboration might have done a long time ago. 8)

cassius987

Re: No Quarter

Post by cassius987 »

Here's another cover of this song by a prog-influenced group.

DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

cassius987 wrote:Here's another cover of this song by a prog-influenced group.

I heard them play this at Red Rocks in 1998, where some of the material from "Salival" was recorded.

The Melvins opened, and the audience was super rude; they actually booed them. It's too bad, because obviously Tool are influenced by The Melvins, and I enjoy many records by The Melvins.

Three years later I saw Tool again with King Crimson at Red Rocks, and the audience pulled the same junk; they booed at King Crimson!
Maynard came out after their set and gave the audience an ear-full, talking about how influential KC were: "We are very, very proud to be sharing the stage with King Crimson. For me, being on stage with King Crimson is like Lenny Kravitz playing with Led Zeppelin, or Britney Spears onstage with Debbie Gibson."

It's sad to me that Tool fans can be so closed-minded, what with being fans of music which espouses open-mindedness.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

DriftSpace wrote:It's sad to me that Tool fans can be so closed-minded, what with being fans of music which espouses open-mindedness.
The average Tool fan is one of the most ignorant people imaginable, which is a tragic irony like you have said. During the 2001 tour I remember Tricky, an artist I really love, also got booed opening for them. And booing the Melvins and KC? An absolute joke, both big influences on Tool for sure. And I remember seeing Massive Attack play before Tool in 2006 at Coachella... same thing, Tool and Massive Attack are pals and collaborators but the crowd of drunk, brawny idiots proceeds to boo or chant "Tool" over half of Massive Attack's set (which was probably my favorite set of that Coachella festival, even over Tool's). The album that followed that festival, 10,000 Days, was probably Tool's weakest and if they never do another one I'll be fine with that purely out of spite for all the half-wits who like them way too much. I really respect Tool but I'm happy to let them move on to other things if it means dissipating this giant borg of idiots.

I remember one time when I saw Tool in Missouri and was hanging out after the show, my friend and I were dressed in the grunge era plaid-and-blue jeans look. Everyone else was head-to-toe black with Tool logo-bearing shirts, jackets, etc. Kevin Willis was on the road with Tool and came right up to me and my friend and handed us a setlist without a word, and the girl right next to us starts saying in this whiney voice: "But I'm the biggest Tool fan!!" Any pity I had before evaporated. By the way the setlist erroneously included a cover of "Purple Rain".

Sorry for derailing your thread Jeff.
Lefty4001

Post by Lefty4001 »

This is one of my favorite songs and now I like three versions (Thanks Jeff). Catch Cirque in a parking lot or Vegas theater near you.

I love playing along to the Tool version. Heavy, building bass part and Danny Carey drumming. I agree on Tool fans, which is unfortunate, since I was OGT back in '92, from the first EP.
'turn up the bass'
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Lefty4001 wrote:I agree on Tool fans, which is unfortunate, since I was OGT back in '92, from the first EP.
So are you the... uh... that one guy???? :o
Lefty4001

Post by Lefty4001 »

cassius987 wrote:
Lefty4001 wrote:I agree on Tool fans, which is unfortunate, since I was OGT back in '92, from the first EP.
:wink:
'turn up the bass'
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Lefty4001 wrote:
cassius987 wrote:
:wink:
That's a dope Beastie tee you got there, man. 8)

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”