Rammstein Rocks the House

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
philco
Intermediate Member

Rammstein Rocks the House

Post by philco »

That would be the Lichtspielhaus that they rock, which is the name of their latest video just released this year.

These guys get a lot of disrespect. I like that. Sometimes the heavy metal websites don't even review their albums even though they have sold millions. More than metalheads go to their concerts. 12 of their videos come first, followed by at least that many live songs taken from the concerts over the years. The first couple of earliest ones aren't too great, but then things start to pick up. Some of my favorites are "Du Hast", "Sonne", and "Feuer Frei". "Feuer Frei" (Fire Freely) is sort of action movie style, with a guy driving a car off a bridge and bailing out with a parachute, etc. "Du Hast" (You Hate) is about abandoning a lover and the past and joining a band of rogues. Every member of Rammstein lost their wife or girlfriend over the band, but they refused to break up the band and stayed together through thick and thin. "Sonne" (Sun) is based on the Snow White and Seven Dwarves legend. Snow White is their "sun" and they worship her, but she is a ***** most of the time except after snorting gold dust that the grimey dwarves mine for her. One scene has her spanking the drummer's bare *** while the others look on in fear. Hey, I said it was dark comic opera, didn't I. They had me nearly rolling on the floor with laughter more than once. They said that when they try to be serious, the public takes it as a joke, and when its a joke, the public gets serious. This is the band implicated in the Columbine High School Shootings because the perpetrators listened to the music. Must have been the harsh German vocals and a bit or ethnic prejudice. The fact the student was on a prescribed drug and had a nutritional deficiency that interacted and caused psychotic behavior was a bit underplayed, in my opinion. Then again, I just might go psycho as well, so you guys had better watch what you say to me. Image

Actually, my mother in her late 70's has seen some of the Rammstein videos and she didn't object as much as when I played Tchaikovsky. She was insistent that continued listening to Tchaikovsky would cause me to go insane. What do you think? (It was the 5th Symphony, by the way.)

Moving on to the live songs, they are taken from a half dozen concerts down through the years. One website listed Rammstein in the top music 10 acts to see before you die, coming in at #7. Of course, after listing Slayer at #1, the #7 rating may be a bit off as well. Rammstein isn't very Rolling Stone Magazine approved, so that's another plus for them. They put on a good live show, and their music is geared toward that rather than the studio. I liked the special section where the band and production personnel talked about making the videos.

So there you have it, sell all your Tchaikovsky before you go insane and buy "Lightspielhaus" by Rammstein. If it's already too late to save you from insanity, you might enjoy the video anyway.

P.S. You're supposed to have parental advisory to view the video. But I laugh at the rules.
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

Darn, I forgot to tell you about my other favorite video, "Engel" (Angel). Set in a seedy German nightclub converted from what looks to be a Baroque Theater, it shows a new way to drink vodka. The snake dancer gal goes over to the Rammstein keyboard player, Flake (pronounced Flah-Kuh), sticks her toes in his mouth, and pours vodka down her leg. He seemed to enjoy it, and considering the antiseptic qualities of alcohol, it has to be considered good clean fun.

I'm still looking for the reasons for the parental advisory, but no luck so far. Maybe one of you other guys could help me on that one? Maybe it was the python snake the gal had, or something like that.
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

So, I just found out that I'm not the only psycotic that posts here!

I remember one time I brought over an Ozzy Osbourne video to my friend's house to watch. At the same time, I let my friend's father borrow a classical music CD (I forget which one). After listining to it, he sees what I'm watching, and gives me this crazy look.

The point of my story is that it is great to be diverse. Why? It's great fun watching someone (Most likely older than you, but not always true) go nuts trying to figure you out.
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

I teach high school students. I play them CD's of bagpipe music, Classical, Gregorian Chant, Rush, whateva it takes to jolt them a little bit. Going to try and work in some Opeth if I can get away with it.

Best comment I got from a student (Who was bright and should have known better) . .

I was playing "Carmina Burana" as an example of Romantic music. So she writes in her response, "Can't we listen to the Star Wars soundtrack? It's so much better." Hrrrrm.
"The only worthwhile conquests are those wrested from ignorance"
-Napoleon
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

Hmmmm......I guess you didn't play Carmina Burana loud enough. I have a Telarc copy on LP which is good, and an old Philadelphia Orchestra version when the late great Eugene Ormandy waved sticks at the orchestra. The best I ever heard was by Seiji Ozawa on PBS, and maybe out on Sony Classical. The words were captioned in English on the Ozawa video, so maybe that's the best one. Most listeners have no idea how "secular" the lyrics really are.

I sent some CD's to a northern Russian lady. She chose Rush over Waylon Jennings. Rush was for her teenage son that likes Rammstein, and I liked Waylon Jenning's "Dreaming My Dreams" so much back in 1976 that I thought she might also. It was the first country album to sell over a million copies, and it's hardcore honky tonk with rock rhythms. A lot of friends who normally avoided country music liked it.

I think there's something about Nordic people that gives them more tolerance for metal music. Northern Europe seems to be the hotbed of Metal these days. I can't think of too many black musicians that play metal, for instance. Jimi Hendrix was an early influence, of course, but the earliest might have been Dick Dale.
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

Dick Dale being an early influence on Jimi Hendrix and not black, of course, but of Middle Eastern heritage.

Dick's influence on Fender amp design and Jimi's influence on Marshall amp design meant that suitable amps were available for the first metal musicians.

Some say that "Helter Skelter" by the Beatles was the first Heavy Metal song, but what do you guys say was the first?
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

Dazed and Confused by Led Zeppelin. 1966?

I always thought Black Sabbath was considered the first Heavy Metal band.
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

I cranked Carmina for the class. But through a cheap school-provided boom box, it wasn;t quite the real deal.

For my birthday once my in-laws bought tickets for Carmina Burana at the St. Louis Symphony. We were in about the 10th row, near the middle, a bit closer to the basses than the violins. Best concert of my entire life.
-Napoleon
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

The Metal heads I know claim Sabbath were Metal (and first) whereas Zep were Hard Rock. Some folks say Vanilla Fudge were the first Metal band. Lennon in one interview claims the first metal (or was it hard rock) song (with the Beatles! And not H.S.).
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

"The words were captioned in English on the Ozawa video, so maybe that's the best one. Most listeners have no idea how "secular" the lyrics really are. "

I studied medieval Kraut-lit in grad school. Great stuff!
-Napoleon
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

I studied modern Kraut-brew as an undergrad. Also great stuff.

Black Sabbath is credited as the first Heavy Metal band by most authorities. I have yet to see a good definition as to what differentiates a Heavy Metal song from a Hard Rock song. The term "heavy metal thunder" was first heard in the Hard Rock song "Born to be Wild" by Steppenwolf, but it seems to be referring to hot rods/motorcycles to me. Still, it could be considered an early Heavy Metal song.

Of course, Rammstein invented a new subgenre of Metal they call Tanzmetal. It remains to be seen if it stays around for long. I heard about a Finnish Folk Metal band that uses accordians and other folk instruments. Moonshadow, maybe? The reviewer said it was good for people who ordinarily didn't like Metal. Should have written down the name.
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

I thought spinal tap had invented that sort of thing first? ;P
-Napoleon
rictified

Post by rictified »

I always think of hard rock bands as being like The Vanilla Fudge or Led Zeppelin, bands that were loud but musical sounding, and associate Heavy mental with bands bands such as Metallica, the really noisy ones that scream a lot and hurt your ears with a lot of treble to their sound. This is my totally biased opinion.
I always thought of Black Sabbath as being a hard rock band.
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

Heavy Metal to me means lots of palm-muting, cookie-monster vocals, power chords, tapping soloes.

Hard Rock is blues-based rock with lotsa overdrive. I dunno.
-Napoleon
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Personally, I think Zepplin cover both, all the rest are pretenders to the throne.

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”