More recording tips needed

A round-table feedback exchange
los_sentidos

More recording tips needed

Post by los_sentidos »

Hiya. In doing more recording this weekend for an EP and for one of the songs I want a really clear but growling tone on the bass any tips on how to get it?

The other track is played using bass chords and slides akin to stuff by Sigur Ros or Explosions in the Sky and I'm going for a different sound on that and I'll probably use effects (either studio ones or my pedals)
Tell me does it feel the same when you've set upon a change but your heart's in the old times?
shinynewtoy
Intermediate Member

Post by shinynewtoy »

Allow me to suggest compression... tube if possible. Keep your tone controls maxed, and if that's not enough a little tube OD, not too heavy just enough to get it breaking up a little.

Oh, and mids, mids, mids.
What do you mean the Bass is too loud???
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Might wanna ask in the new Recording Forum hosted by Tony Carey as well. Image
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009
marc67
Professional Player

Post by marc67 »

Ronan, as Bob said - compression, tube OD, mids - I sometimes record using 2 amps with different settings and mix them (can be 1 tube and the other solid state). May I suggest using DR strings - that can give you a clear sound too.
for mail please use marclaza@hotmail.com
rhampshire
Veteran RRF member

Post by rhampshire »

Man, you guys pretty much nailed my setup!

Rick w/horseshoe (solo'ed), tone knob maxed. DR Hi-Beams. '73 Ampeg SVT / 8x10 - volume, bass & treble @ 12:00, mids at 2:00.

Grrrrrrrr!
bobcat
Intermediate Member

Post by bobcat »

Clear but growling? Go direct. Don't mic the cabinet; just run an XLR from your amp directly into the board. If you don't care about missing some of the boominess of playing a bass through a speaker, you'll be good to go. This is what I do, and I love how it sounds.
david_schwab

Post by david_schwab »

I also record direct, but usually right from the bass. First I run into an Alesis compressor, set for a slight boost, and then into the board. I have the bass and treble set more or less flat, and the mids boosted. I turn the mic gain (pad) up until the overload light just flashes when I hit a note hard... this thickens up the sound nicely! You don't actually hear any distortion, but you do have added harmonics.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Record direct for a clean bottom end, and record through the amp at the same time with a little overdrive to get the growl, and mix the two sounds together at the mixdown process.
rikk
Intermediate Member

Post by rikk »

I usually take a direct feed and mic the amp and mix and match. I got some pretty nice sounds that way.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Use a '60s 4005 with Super Soft XLs into a Furman PQ-3 (twiddle knobs to taste) and then to your choice of compression. I did just that back in the '80s and got a great tone.
bobcat
Intermediate Member

Post by bobcat »

I would skip the amp section of my combo, but I've had very bad experience with compression. No matter what I try, it ALWAYS makes my bass sound ****** . . . it ruins the "Ric-ness" of it; basically, however I try it, it turns the 4003 into a Fender J-bass, but without any of the character that makes a J-bass awesome.

My GenzBenz combo has an XLR jack and a speaker disconnect switch that basically allows me to plug through the pre/power-amp section into a board. It growls very nicely, and, considering there's a gain knob there as well, I can make it do pretty much whatever I want. And it always sounds better to me than a compressor. Maybe I just haven't found the right compressor.
dean712
Intermediate Member

Post by dean712 »

Wow, I hadn't considered the option of using an XLR out jack from my amp directly into the board. That's an intriguing idea. I've only tried going direct using a SansAmp, and recently, a BassPOD. I am gearing up for a recording session Jan 20-22. I have an Ampeg V-4b 100watt head that I love to use live, and it has an XLR out. Do you think it might work? I might have to try it out this weekend. Do I have to have the speakers connected and working, or is it safe to power up the amp and just run the XLR out to the board (ie. silently in the room where the head is)?
dean712
Intermediate Member

Post by dean712 »

Oh, the V-4b is a reissue; that's how it has the XLR out.

And... there's a Recording Forum now? Cool! I will have to check it out. I have been away and busy lately, but I'm looking forward to getting back into the Rickenbacker Forum.
david_schwab

Post by david_schwab »

I never found a compressor to alter the sound that much.. just smooth out the dynamics. Unless it's some kind of tube compressor.. they color the sound.

Recording from the XLR is a great idea. I've done this in the past with my GK-800RB, and really liked the sound.

I've been thinking of trying this with my TE combo, but I hate to have to carry it up two flights of stairs!

I'm not crazy about amp simulators, because they seems to make the sound mushy and filter too much in the way of imitating a speaker cab.
los_sentidos

Post by los_sentidos »

Cheers guys!

If only I had a 4005 JPS!!! Wanna lend me one Image

I'm gonna try some of the stuff out, mix and match and see what I get. As for strings only ones I really get on with are Elites nickels. So I'll be putting a new set on tomorrow!

In the chorus though I use distortion (through the Hartke VXL Pedal) and I go for that dirty Larry Graham setting you can get with the pedal.
Tell me does it feel the same when you've set upon a change but your heart's in the old times?

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”