A round-table feedback exchange
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

Ssshhhh John!

You are letting out the secret. he he he
beatcomber

Post by beatcomber »

You guys would never believe what I use for my recordings!

On eBay I scored a pair of Sansui RA-500 Reverb Amplifiers from the '70s for around $15-20 each. These were designed to add a touch of reverb to your stereo. (Kind of a strange component for your stereo!) Anyway, these units have genuine spring reverb tanks in them, and add a nice vintage-y reverb to multitrack recordings, complete with a Fender-ish "ping" if you crank the reverb level. You won't get a deep auditorium reverb from them, but they do add a nice, warm, subtle reverb to vocals, drums, etc.

Since these units have stereo inputs/outputs, and my recording set-up is built around a '70s Teac four-track reel-to-reel (I'm very old school), I have two RA-500s. That allows me to add reverb to all four tracks.

I recently cut a demo of a very 1963-ish tune I wrote, and during mixdown of the backing tracks, I accidentally assigned full reverb to the rhythm guitar track and none to the lead guitar track. It was supposed to be the other way around. The rhythm guitar had a very faraway kind of sound with all that vintage spring reverb goodness, with the lead guitar being up front and punchy. I liked it so much that I left it that way!

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”