I record music for a living. Ask me questions!

A round-table feedback exchange
seaneldon

I record music for a living. Ask me questions!

Post by seaneldon »

Hey there. Though I don't think anyone on THIS forum knows, I'm actually a professional recording engineer working out of Queens/Manhattan. I frequent some other boards and really enjoy helping out folks who are confused/lost/in need of information or recommendations. So I figured I'd give it a shot here.

My background? I'm 20 years old. I've been playing music since before I can remember. Through what I suppose could be called "passion", I wound up learning to play more than a handful of instruments. Next came songwriting at the age of 12. Naturally, after I'd get it all written and practiced, I wanted to hear it. The only way to do that would be to go through the trouble of making musician friends, or recording myself track by track. After realizing my trombone playing friend didn't have a real knack for bass guitar, recording proved to be the better choice.

By the time I was 14 I'd scraped up enough money for a VERY modest home setup. Cassette 4-track, some $99 monitors, a pair of headphones, and two microphones. All of my free time was spent learning from mistakes in both writing and recording. At 15, I started playing out in bands a lot more and made friends with a bunch of people who wanted to record, and didn't have any money. I offered to help them out and that's when this started.

At 16 I was completely head over heels in love with everything about the recording process, and music in general. The room, the mics, the preamps, the analog and digital mediums, the sheer science behind it all. It was exciting. I went to school MUCH less because I'd started touring the country with my band. When I was home, I had two jobs at a fast food restaurant and doing data entry for a telecommunications company, and spent every last cent of my money on new equipment, coffee, and cigarettes. The addiction to buying gear was way more expensive than any smoking habit.

By 17 I'd more than turned my Tascam Cassette Operation into a full-on boutique setup. I'd gotten an idea to rent my own space for the studio after doing the same for rehearsal rooms for 3 years. Within 2 months I was moving into the basement of a tattoo shop and a bar in a strip mall a few towns over. The studio flipped to half analog/half digital, with a microphone, preamp, and compressor collection that would make a good deal of engineers drool. I'd go to school until 2pm, sleep until 8pm, and then record bands/artists from 9pm-2pm. I was making enough money to quit my two "real" jobs, and though the sleep schedule was different from most teenagers, I was still pulling off the "school, sleep, studio, school..." scheme pretty well. And I had a vintage U47.

When I graduated high school, I got an assistant/right hand man job at a local "real" studio. At the same time I was being considered for promotion to full-time staff engineer, my band got a hefty offer to do more touring and put out more records. I put off studio work for a while.

It's 2 years later and I finally paid off all of my debts, and the album we recorded in 2003 is finally coming out next week, and now I've found myself back in the recording game. I'm a staff engineer at a gorgeous spot in Long Island City, New York, complete with rooftop lounge overlooking the skyline, and four fully blown rooms. We're now taking the risky plunge into doing more "major label work", and the studio is now open 20 hours a day with only 3-4 employees. And I couldn't be happier.

So enough about me. Back to the original topic. I happen to believe that despite my relatively young age around this forum, I am heavily experienced and seasoned in the art of recording. So...ask me your questions! Debating on your next purchase? Trying to figure out something in your software or multitrack? Need to fix your tape machine? Want my opinion on how certain mics, preamps, compressors, and equalizers "sound"? Let me know. Wanna blow $90 an hour to record your album with me when you get fed up doing it yourself? I'll respond to the best of my ability!

Cheers,
Sean Eldon Qualls
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sean: Thanks for your comments regarding recording and for taking the time to provide a brief bio. This is a Forum where we all benefit from our collective experiences.

When deciding to setup the Rampant Recording Techniques Forum, I spent considerable time looking for an experienced musician with a track record of both recording and performing who has developed considerable expertise having released original material. Tony Carey was selected for this job and is the Moderator and consultant for this Topic area.

This does not preclude you or anyone else registered here from adding their comments or asking questions. We welcome your expertise and look forward to your thoughts. I feel it is important, however, to keep boundaries clear and mention that Tony currently fulfills the role that you have offered.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
seaneldon

Post by seaneldon »

I'm well aware of Tony's presence, just figured two heads and two opinions can be better than one in a situation like this. Happy to help either way.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry Sean, in spite of your lengthy post I did not see any acknowledgement of Tony's role in this Forum. This is why I felt the need to comment.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
brammy

Post by brammy »

Hi Sean.... I'd appreciate some advice or comment in the "Please HELP me pick a new PA system!" thread ... thanks.
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”