Are You Experienced?

A round-table feedback exchange
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

We used to Video our gigs...we sounded alright on them, but we all looked like deer trapped in headlights or shoegazers. Helped our stage presence. Not by much.
stubby
Intermediate Member

Post by stubby »

Whenever I've listened to live recordings of myself, I'm struck not so much by the quality of the music/playing but something else that Anthony alluded to - the inter-song parts. I've used these recordings to tighten up a lot on between song banter and especially to eliminate dead space, shuffle,crack, pop sounds as you shift yourself, put on capos, adjust your mic stand, chat with the boys in the band, etc. I've been stunned at how loose it was between songs when I hear a recorded playback.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Excellent point, Bill. The people I jam with and I recognized this a while back, so we conducted a practice as if we were playing out, purposefully minimizing between-song 'dead time'. It was worth it!

BTW, at last week's practice I set up the D16 and recorded about an hour's worth of songs; the difference this time was that I had only one ambient mic (above the drums), the rest of the input was from the mixer (I did not do discrete channels for everything). When I heard the playback, I thought that it had more of a studio than a 'garage' sound to it.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”