"The Jazz Funeral EP"

A round-table feedback exchange
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

"The Jazz Funeral EP"

Post by sloop_john_b »

Well, it's going to "officially" be released on the 28th, but I figured a forum leak couldn't hurt!

This is the debut release from my band, The Jazz Funeral.

You can download it here for free, the link is right on the main page. If you want to buy a physical CD ($7 shipped), shoot me a PM.

The EP was recently reviewed in the Staten Island Advance:
Out of some weird wooded area of Staten Island, The Jazz Funeral marches. Singer John Biscuti's alt-country and folk songs, drawn along by acoustic guitars, banjo and familiar chord changes, appear at first well crafted but unremarkable. Then you start to listen to the lyrics, and things get pretty interesting. On "Pulling off The Wings," a pretty dark love song, Biscuti wavers "went down to the Jersey shore, caught a cancerous tan/ melenoma face brough such a chill/ if the smokes don't kill me I guess that old sun will." The last song mentions New York City master-builder Robert Moses. Good instrumental moments reveal themselves as well on subsequent listens. "Entry-Level Blues," maybe the best cut of the five musically, starts out as a regular 12-bar tune then busts into some sort of Beatlesesque (or perhaps Dr. Dogesque?) set of harmonies and saloon rock and drunken bop bop bopb badadada-ing. "Jolene of the South Shore," gets points for the romantic local reference and for the slide guitar solo too, proving The Jazz Funeral just might be one of the most unique new bands on Staten Island.
winston
Membership Admin

Re: "The Jazz Funeral EP"

Post by winston »

Very cool John,

I have downloaded a copy. Thanks.............. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Thanks, John

I'm downloading it now and I'm eager to hear it. I loved the number of yours from the RRFCD2 :D
All I wanna do is rock!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

kiramdear wrote:Thanks, John

I'm downloading it now and I'm eager to hear it. I loved the number of yours from the RRFCD2 :D
Thanks Kira! The mix of that particular song is better on the version you're downloading now - vocals are much more up-front and there were some drum tweaks as well.
johneek
Advanced Member

Post by johneek »

Very cool stuff JB.... :D
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Thanks for the late Christmas present JB! :D It's brilliant!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I have been enjoying these songs for several weeks now. Great stuff, dude! Keep 'em coming; I expect a full length LP for the next one! :shock:
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

jdogric12aolcom wrote:Keep 'em coming; I expect a full length LP for the next one! :shock:
It's absolutely gonna be an LP, man. I'm working with a collaborator now (this release was pretty much all me) and we have some really, really cool stuff so far.

Had the EP release show last night; I'm still shocked at the huge turnout! We sold a nice amount of CD's (made our money back on them already, may need to order more soon!) and played really well. No nerves whatsoever up there - we're very loose and the crowds are into that.

Here's a photo someone shot from last night (sorry for the lack of Rick content in this one - I brought two with me and used them, I swear! :lol: ):
n1376400121_30128785_3857.jpg
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Looking good, John! Congratulations! :D
All I wanna do is rock!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

That's a great shot John. Where is the venue?
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

winston wrote:That's a great shot John. Where is the venue?
It's a coffee house called "The Cup" (formerly "The Muddy Cup") here on Staten Island. Pretty good venue for bands; horrible coffee.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Thanks John. I hope you do what we unfortunately never did and that's video some of your gigs.

sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

winston wrote:Thanks John. I hope you do what we unfortunately never did and that's video some of your gigs.
I am told that a friend filmed this - If I can track him down, I'll get some of the footage on Youtube for sure!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Fantastic........if your friend did, please post a link.

wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

John, I've downloaded the tracks and have have really enjoyed listening to them this morning.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”