The Chesapeake and the Shannon

A round-table feedback exchange
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

The Chesapeake and the Shannon

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

I've been posting to this forum for a while now. So it is my turn to post a recording.

I am playing my 91 JG 610 on this song which is heavily inspired by UK folk rock band STEELEYE SPAN. This dates from 1994.

Part of it is from a traditional song from the war of 1812, part of it I wrote to turn it a little more Rock...

Let me know what you think of this... :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=7634232
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
ram

Re: The Chesapeake and the Shannon

Post by ram »

Brian, I feel like I should be hoisting a pint at a pub somewhere. I don't think we've ever had anything of that genera posted before. Cool little ditty - fun!
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Hoist a pint at a pub, indeed! I'll drink to that. Nice work.

JimK
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Thanks for the kind words...

It is interesting the directions that your life can take you. I guess the point that can be drawn is that folkies can play Rickenbackers too!

B
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote: ... folkies can play Rickenbackers too!
Yup, that's me.

JimK
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Very cool arrangement, playing, and production! Nicely done! Huzzah! :D

A link with some information regarding the duel between the frigates: http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/even ... hes-sn.htm

Captain Broke of the Shannon was a genius and far ahead of his time with regard to the science of Naval gunnery, something mentioned only in passing in the brief synopsis.
ram

Post by ram »

thanks Paul! good background.... but not nearly as lively as Brian's version... :wink:
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

They say that Broke was one of the inspirations for the Jack Aubrey Character in Patrick O'brien's series of books.

I researched the song quite extensively at the time I recorded it, I even have a book all about the naval engagement...

Can anyone identify what STEELEYE SPAN song the arrangement is swiped from?

B
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:They say that Broke was one of the inspirations for the Jack Aubrey Character in Patrick O'brien's series of books.

I researched the song quite extensively at the time I recorded it, I even have a book all about the naval engagement...

Can anyone identify what STEELEYE SPAN song the arrangement is swiped from?

B
Interesting. I've read all the books, and O'Brian made Aubrey a cousin of Phillip Broke in the story. Aubrey's even aboard when the Shannon defeats the Chesapeake.
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

Nice! I LOVE Scottish and Irish traditional music and your song is great cousin to the genre. The British revivalists Steeleye Span, Anna Briggs, John Rensworth, etc. rarely get the credit they deserve. So nice to hear this as I start my day.
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Nice, Brian! Aside from the detail to history, and this being a well-told story, I have to commend you on the vocals, especially the harmonies in the a capella intro.

I have a severe head-cold, so maybe there's something off kilter with my hearing, but the stereo spectrum has an odd phased effect where everything sounds like it surrounds me, and nothing's actually positioned in the middle. Is that an intended effect, or am I truly F'd in the head?

Lastly, I'm not familiar with all the British Revivalist bands, but this gives me a feel of The Pogues. Like Tom described, I definitely feel taken to a Pub when listening to this.

Top notch, Brian! I look forward to hearing more.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

This recording is just from a work cassette... So it isn't really a final mix.

The 12 track masters are alas long gone. Only about five of the songs from these sessions were ever properly mixed, (They ended up being released on a limited release cassette)... The other 8 or nine songs were never finished or properly mixed, something that I severely regret, as a number of the musicians that played on these sessions are now deceased... This was precisely when I crashed out of the music business, over the frustration of not being able to finish this project, and a feeling that musically I was treading too close to the work of Canadian folk singer Stan Rogers. (And was being called on that by his family and fans)...

I transfered to my computer hard drive all of the work cassettes about 5 years ago.. There is another mix of this track (which includes Octave mandolin played by the noted Canadian guitar builder Grit Laskin), but the vocals are not as clear so this is my preferred version to share with the world.

THe song the arrangement is swiped from is ALL AROUND MY HAT.. (starts acapella and then the band comes crashing in). The fiddle tune "Captain Broke's Hornpipe" is original too, although the chord changes come from a Scottish Bag pipe tune called THE ATHOLL HIGHLANDERS.

I bought my JG 610 for $500 US so that I could play a RIC on these sessions, it came from Houston Texas as I recall... The rest of the album was mainly acoustic, although I did work on a very Beatley sounding tribute to John Lennon called WHEN JOHNNIE WAS FORTY....

Next week I will post the title track MUTINY....

Brian
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
ram

Post by ram »

According to my local newspaper's 'what happened today' - this is the day Captian Lawrence uttered the words - "Don't give up the ship."!

and as Mark said - looking forward to more Brian.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Yes indeed June 1, 1813 was the date of the battle....

It also was 20 years ago the opening night of HOW COULD YOU MRS DICK, a play I produced about a nortoriuous murder - The Evelyn Dick case - which happened here in my hometown of Hamilton, Ontario in 1946.

I also wrote a song about another war of 1812 naval engagement called THE BURLINGTON RACES, about the action in September 1813 between the sqaudrons of American Captain Issac Chanacey and Sir James Yeo which happened at my end of Lake Ontario.

I like songs on nautical themes...
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

A bit late for the show, sorry, Brian. :oops:

Well this is a rollicking, swaggering, elbow-bending number from the finest of traditions and given a modern twang by you and your friend. The greatest compliment I can give a number like this is that I wanted a beer to go with it. :lol: You've not only caught Steeleye Span but fairly outdone Paul Kantner at his secret game. too. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”