Different Drum

A round-table feedback exchange
ukuser

Different Drum

Post by ukuser »

Trying to get to grips with some home recording I thought I'd have a stab at Mike Nesmith's Different Drum.

I was after more of a 'wall of country jangle' rather than the 'Harpsichord Folk' of The Stone Poney's version.
Trimmed the riff to feel a bit more Byrds-like.

Never sung on a recording before, so it's quite nervously that I've put this up for all to hear, believe me.

Anyway, for anyone interested in the recording process; it's a 330/6 going into a Line 6 Pod Studio KB37 which then goes into a Mac with Ableton live as the recording program.

Enjoy, or at least do your best to try!

http://www.twentyfourten.com/files/different_drum.html
scotty

Re: Different Drum

Post by scotty »

I really enjoyed that Simon well done. :D
Halbert

Post by Halbert »

Cool. The vocals sound fine. The 12 string sounds great too. I haven't had the huevos to post any music of mine at all. Maybe soon.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Halbert wrote:Cool. The vocals sound fine. The 12 string sounds great too...
+1! Sounds a little like the Susanna Hoffs/Matthew Sweet cover, but I like yours better. :)
Halbert wrote:... I haven't had the huevos to post any music of mine at all ...
[decided not to make an off-color comment here ... :D ]
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Good recording. That guitar riff was custom made for a Rick 12.
JimK
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Nice job, Simon! No reason to be hesitant about the vocals from what I can tell. You have a strong melodic voice, so feel free to croon with authority! As Jim alluded to - that riff really does sound great on that Rick-12. I don't know if it's your delivery or if I've just never really listened to the lyrics before, but I just now noticed what a sad, melancholy song this is.
ukuser

Post by ukuser »

Thanks for comments everyone, very kind.
Gotta come clean on the 12 string - I only have a 330/6 so for the riff I recorded two tracks an octave apart, and when they sit together you get the 12 string sound. Feel a fraud, and didn't mean to fool anyone, it was only way to get the 'sound' without splashing out a couple of grand for the pleasure! But yeah, it does sound pretty authentic.

Thanks again guys
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Very effective! I used the same method to emulate a 12-string 4001.

viewtopic.php?p=576607#p576607
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

ukuser wrote:Thanks for comments everyone, very kind.
Gotta come clean on the 12 string - I only have a 330/6 so for the riff I recorded two tracks an octave apart, and when they sit together you get the 12 string sound. Feel a fraud, and didn't mean to fool anyone, it was only way to get the 'sound' without splashing out a couple of grand for the pleasure! But yeah, it does sound pretty authentic.

Thanks again guys
There might be a couple of folks that have never heard or thought of this, so I'll post it. If you only own a 6 string guitar and want to add a decent 12 string sound to a recording, do the following:
1. Record the 6 string guitar track.
2. Change the lower 4 (E,A,D,G) strings to the octave strings from a 12 string set. Your guitar will now be what is referred to as "angel strung". The high B and E strings don't need to be changed.
3. Record a second track, doubling the part on track 1 as closely as possible. Mix with a bit of separation and you have an interesting pseudo-12 string guitar track. All for the price of 4 guitar strings.
I have done this mostly with acoustic guitars, because I couldn't justify the cost of an acoustic 12 string. An angel strung guitar sounds pretty interesting on its own and may open the door to more creative musical ideas.
Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

Simon, nicely done. i agree, nothing wrong with the vocals. Keep at it. Mark
ram

Post by ram »

Simon, nice job... the sound is great and nothing wrong with the vocals at all. keep 'em coming.
craigh

Post by craigh »

Really good. Funny I've been working on the song recently & you gave me some ideas.

Craig
miltric

Post by miltric »

That's just glorious. Great 12-string sound, great vocal . . . really enjoyed it!
1988 360 JG, 2008 660-12 AFG, 2009 330 FG

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”