4001 recording

A round-table feedback exchange
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

4001 recording

Post by hieronymous »

I made a tune to accompany a slide-show of photos of my 1976 Autumnglo 4001, so I thought I would post it here. I recorded it pretty quickly - the first thing you hear is the 4001 on the bridge pickup through a Budda Phatman distortion and Electro-Harmonix Stereo Pulsar vibrato. The synth is the Akai Miniak. Then the lead line is the 4001 on the neck pickup with the tone turned down through the Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz & Moog delay.

I call it: 4001 bubble-float
winston
Membership Admin

Re: 4001 recording

Post by winston »

Very nice Harry. Sort of retro sounding. I could picture Kraftwerk playing that as a build up to a rocking electronica piece. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

Great as always Harry! Your tunes always ask the question "Who needs Guitars?..." :mrgreen:

emac.
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

Cool! Reminds me of a dark Vangelisesque piece. Or Tangerine Dream. Excellent use of effects--very organic.
If it is to be, it is up to me.
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Very cool, hieronymous! The basses resemble cellos with the effects you're using. I can see this music being good for the soundtrack to a 70's sci-fi TV series. Apocalyptic spacy!
RickenTom

Post by RickenTom »

That was pretty cool Harry. Actually really cool 8) !!!
Thanks for sharing.
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

Thanks very much everybody - Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Vangelis are all artists that I respect and love, so the comparison is much appreciated. Having it bubble into something with a more electronic beat would be cool! I also thought of making it way more ambient without the lead part on top. But I think I am going to leave it as is and work on some new music instead!
ram

Post by ram »

Harry, just getting to this... great sound! A blast to the past but not at the same time. Enjoyed it very much- cool effects! Keep 'em coming!
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

ram wrote:Harry, just getting to this... great sound! A blast to the past but not at the same time. Enjoyed it very much- cool effects! Keep 'em coming!
Sure! Here's an excerpt from a recent studio session (no effects this time, just a touch of compression):

go apart jam

And a shot from rehearsal for this session:

ram

Post by ram »

Niiiiiiiiiice!
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Cool groove, great bass playing, Harry! :)
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

Another track from the Robot Envy sessions: Taurus 4001 (robot envy version)

The bass was recorded with my CAJ tube compressor and Alembic F-2B preamp - afterwards I put it through my Alembic SF-2 Superfilter to bring out the high end and mids for more bite (thinking I might make a separate thread about the SF-2), and also through Moogerfooger analog delay.

There's more to come, hoping to get some more pictures up too.
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Nice jam on the "Go Apart Jam." The drums sound great, too.

I like the brighter tone you got from the Taurus 4001 track. With the delay it reminds of your rack from the 1st RRF CD.
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

walker wrote:Nice jam on the "Go Apart Jam." The drums sound great, too.

I like the brighter tone you got from the Taurus 4001 track. With the delay it reminds of your rack from the 1st RRF CD.
Thanks for the comments Mark! "Go Apart" was definitely played with the tone knob turned down - can't remember if it was just the neck pup or if I had both pups on. If both, then the tone knob was on 10 for the bridge pup. Given the kind of punchy sound, I think it might have been both. Bonus points if you can tell what song we were playing that turned into this jam!

And tonight I got pictures from the session! (photos by my friend CB)
Attachments
robotenvy_4001a.jpg
robotenvy_4001b.jpg
robotenvy_4001c.jpg
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

hieronymous wrote:Bonus points if you can tell what song we were playing that turned into this jam!
So many songs I suppose it could be... 'Come Together?'

Cool looking studio! Hazarding another guess, I suppose it's known as 'The Green Room?'

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”