"Set You Free This Time" from Studio Z--first mix

A round-table feedback exchange
vynesmusic

"Set You Free This Time" from Studio Z--first mix

Post by vynesmusic »

Just finished this one---the harmonica was recorded across town.....may substitute my Strat or a Danelectro for that part :roll:

here's the link:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9757722

Got some nice comments for my other cover, "If You're Gone"....hope you cats like this one 8)
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
ram

Re: "Set You Free This Time" from Studio Z--first mix

Post by ram »

Gee, it sounded cool... sorta a British Invasion Springsteen sound??? Anyhow love the harp at the end. Maybe string that part out a little and do the guitar and harp duel type thing to the fade. Thanks for sharing!!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Hi Gee, this is another quality cover that you've done. I really like the way that you captured the Gene Clark melancholy in the lead vocal. Nicely done. I think this should have been posted under the Byrds subforum. A lot of folks won't know that it's a Byrds tune. You are correct about the harmonica part. It doesn't blend well with the rest of the song. There may be tuning issues on it, too. Aside from that, I think this is an impressive cover. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

beatbyrd wrote:Hi Gee, this is another quality cover that you've done. I really like the way that you captured the Gene Clark melancholy in the lead vocal. Nicely done. I think this should have been posted under the Byrds subforum. A lot of folks won't know that it's a Byrds tune. You are correct about the harmonica part. It doesn't blend well with the rest of the song. There may be tuning issues on it, too. Aside from that, I think this is an impressive cover. Tom

Many thanks to ram and beatbyrd, the 2 Toms, for the kind comments....yes...the harp is a little...er...eccentric :lol: :roll: .....may keep practicing or re do with a low-key guitar line.... :?:

I have posted on Jim Krause's Byrds forum...no comments yet... 8)
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Nice work, Gee! All-around great performance on the vocs & instrumentation. The harmonica part wasn't a bad idea. You played it well, and with nice phrasing, but yeah - it's in the wrong key. There are times during the harp parts where you've got minor 3rds conflicting with the major thirds of the guitar chords. Should be an easy fix with the right harp.
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

walker wrote:Nice work, Gee! All-around great performance on the vocs & instrumentation. The harmonica part wasn't a bad idea. You played it well, and with nice phrasing, but yeah - it's in the wrong key. There are times during the harp parts where you've got minor 3rds conflicting with the major thirds of the guitar chords. Should be an easy fix with the right harp.
Hmmmmm.....it's in the key of D, and I had a G harp---that's correct ain't it???......just sub-standard playing I think :lol: ....harp is ALOT harder than I dreamed :oops: .....thanks Mark! :D

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”