The Nantucket Return "One Wish" has dropped!

A round-table feedback exchange
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

The Nantucket Return "One Wish" has dropped!

Post by rickyfricky »

11 Tracks of Original Retro Rock available now on CD Baby:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/nantucketreturn

You may recognize Xiao Gou Gou (track 1) from RRF CD3 - an alternate take.

Try Some Buy Some.
Watch those teeth, Marlin. I'm not sure we've properly sedated the beast . . .
ram

Re: The Nantucket Return "One Wish" has dropped!

Post by ram »

Cool Matt, I like both takes... also liked Father Ghost sample... nice CD art as well - love the 4004!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Post by rickyfricky »

ram wrote:Cool Matt, I like both takes... also liked Father Ghost sample... nice CD art as well - love the 4004!
Many thanks for your kind words, Tom.

I used my 4003 MBvp on Father Ghost and really like the sound it gave us - especially the sustain in the verses.
I also used my 4001 c64s on some of the tracks.

The Blueboy makes a great cover, IMHO.
I don't think there's many of this model in this color.

The magic of Rickenbacker was certainly experienced in this project.
Thank you to everyone who made it possible.
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Congrats on this release, Matt! I liked it so much , I got two copies! ;)

Quite the upgrade in production from the RRF CD3 version of Xiao Gou Gou, and the whole CD overall, I'd have to assume. Nicely done. I like the variety of instrumentation you guys feature - the sax, a few different slide guitar sounds I'm hearing. Is there Dobro in there?

Really nice job on the 3-part harmonies passages that pop up. I'd say the CDbaby auto-recommendation feature did a nice call with the Fleetwood Mac/Cowboy Junkies/George Harrison comparison.
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Post by rickyfricky »

walker wrote:Congrats on this release, Matt! I liked it so much , I got two copies! ;)

Quite the upgrade in production from the RRF CD3 version of Xiao Gou Gou, and the whole CD overall, I'd have to assume. Nicely done. I like the variety of instrumentation you guys feature - the sax, a few different slide guitar sounds I'm hearing. Is there Dobro in there?

Really nice job on the 3-part harmonies passages that pop up. I'd say the CDbaby auto-recommendation feature did a nice call with the Fleetwood Mac/Cowboy Junkies/George Harrison comparison.
Thanks Mark!!! That second copy makes a great coaster if you leave the shrinkwrap on. :lol:

Having lost our lead guitar player mid-production, the guest musicians (and friends) did an amazing job with their contributions to our songs. They include:
Max Cohen on beautifully intricate guitar - acoustic and electric 6 & 12 slide, but NO dobro.
Nantucket blues legend Riley Hayford (ACK, Ecliff and the Swingdogs) on featured guitar on tracks 2, 5, & 10.
Nantucketer Tom Stoddart (Earth Got the Blues, Dave Street Band) on ridiculously-tasty alto sax and harmonica.
"Nantucket's oldest teenager" Pat Robinson (30 Miles Out Band) on slide guitar on "Daddy Don't".

The background vocals were crafted by my amazingly talented bandmate Lili Wendelken.
And our producer Norman Blain knocked it out of the park, IMHO.

I did my best to help hold down the bottom and stay out of the way of the real talent.

This forum, and our inclusion on RRF CD3 (under our old moniker "Mixed by Moe") really helped us overcome adversity and bring "One Wish" across the finish line.

Once again MANY THANKS to Mark and Peter and everyone on this forum.
ram

Post by ram »

rickyfricky wrote:...I did my best to help hold down the bottom and stay out of the way of the real talent. ...
Sometimes that is the best thing a bass player can do - know when not to dominate - and I like what I heard here.

Mark - Avatar - either something big and hairy has your bass or you might need to consider some personal hygiene when out in the woods...
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”