A cover of a Christmas song that you probably never heard

A round-table feedback exchange
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

A cover of a Christmas song that you probably never heard

Post by beatbyrd »

Hi, First of all, happy holidays to everyone on the RRF board. I just posted a really beautiful Christmas cover song originally done by the Cowsills on their 1998 "Global" CD. I'm shocked that it's not on heavy rotation on the radio stations that play holiday music. My cover features the Beatbyrd Nabbertwackel choir, all of whom had bronchitis during the recording. The song can be found on the "Christmas" page on my music website http://www.beatbyrd.com
Once again, happy holidays to all. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
ram

Re: A cover of a Christmas song that you probably never heard

Post by ram »

Thanks for posting Tom, a nice tune re-done very nicely. And happy holidays to you and yours!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
tamere

Post by tamere »

nice tune, well done!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tom: This song is brilliant and I thank you for recording it and offering it here. I have enjoyed it so much I know that other RRF members will too and so I have placed it at the top of our consciousness for the Christmas period. Merry Christmas to you and all.

Here is a more direct link to the song.

http://www.beatbyrd.com/christmas
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Very nice, indeed. I've never heard this song before until hearing this version. Quite a nice introduction! I'm not very familiar with the Cowsills catalog, but this song has echoes of Brian Wilson to my ear.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tom: I would be most interested in hearing how you recorded this song. Outside of a cold, what other obstacles did you encounter in bringing it to fruition?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Very nicely done, Tom. I too have never heard this song before. Thank you for posting a link to it here.
JimK
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

admin wrote:Tom: I would be most interested in hearing how you recorded this song. Outside of a cold, what other obstacles did you encounter in bringing it to fruition?
Thanks for the positive comments............
OK, here are the boring details..... It was recorded on a 24 track recorder, but due to bounces, 35 tracks were used. A stereo pair would count as 2 tracks in getting to the 35 total. There are 4 stereo keyboard tracks (each a stereo pair). The keys were all done on a Roland Juno-G (piano, low strings, high strings, bells). There are 8 mono tracks of vocal "Ahhs", mixed and bounced to a stereo pair. There are 8 mono tracks of regular sung vocals, some parts doubled due to the throat problem or to just beef them up. There's a mono sleigh bell track near the fade out. There are 2 mono tracks of a whispered "Merry Christmas everyone" near the end.
Aside from all the coughing (and the required jillion takes), the only obstacle was figuring out all the parts by ear. The Cowsills are siblings and have very similar vocal qualities, which makes it harder to distinguish the individual harmony parts. I have the same trouble with Beach Boys and some Byrds songs (where McGuinn and Clark sound similar). The flipside is that it's easier for one person to imitate that 'family' harmony blend once the harmonies have been figured out. All things considered, this one did take a long time to complete. I tried to make it sound 'cold and wintery', as well as peaceful/relaxing. Someone on the RRF mentioned that Bob Cowsill (he wrote it) was very talented and I agree with that opinion. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
Zurdo

Post by Zurdo »

wow, never heard it before, absolutely beautiful song, but in my humble opinion, it is not a Radio song, it is a Christmas-Morning-Music-To-Wake-Up-By, it brings out the child emotions in all of us. The piano phrasing is beautiful.

I love Christmas music, it is a very North American style of music. Not to mention I love The Cowsills since the 1970's, "I love the flower girl" has a special place in my heart. I still play it today, a song that never gets old.

don't be dissapointed by radio not adopting the song, as songs like these find their way eventually.

another good example is Burt Bacharah's "The Bell That Would Not Jingle", same thing, ignored by radio, but a fun Christmas song which captures the feelings of the Christmas and Winter season, just like your arrangement of this song by Bob Cowsill.

Merry Christmas!
Rickenbacker 370-12 1966, Hofner 500/1 1966, Gibson ES-150 DCW 1970,
Vox Viscount 1967, Vox Series 90 1969. Yamaha PSR-9000 Midi Sequencer Arranger 2000
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Yes, WOW is right! Great work, sounds fantastic! I don't know how you do stuff like that, I have enough trouble laying down one measly bass track...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Zurdo

Post by Zurdo »

cjj wrote:.....I have enough trouble laying down one measly bass track...
practice makes perfect :mrgreen:
Rickenbacker 370-12 1966, Hofner 500/1 1966, Gibson ES-150 DCW 1970,
Vox Viscount 1967, Vox Series 90 1969. Yamaha PSR-9000 Midi Sequencer Arranger 2000
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Lovely song, and nice work! :D

Merry Christmas! :D :D :D
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Post by rickyfricky »

GREAT song and VERY TASTEFULLY DONE, Tom!

The genius of Brian Wilson came to mind while listening.

Happy Holidays to you and yours.
Watch those teeth, Marlin. I'm not sure we've properly sedated the beast . . .

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”