Audacity 1.3 Beta: Can I do better?

A round-table feedback exchange
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Audacity 1.3 Beta: Can I do better?

Post by JakeK »

Since 2006, I've been recording with Audacity, and by 2009, began using the Windows Vista-friendly Audacity 1.3 Beta to do all my recording for any instrument and voice.

For the instruments, I'm using an adapter that will plug a standard guitar cable into the "mic" jack into my computer, recording everything direct into the computer. So it goes like this: Guitar/bass > pedal board > adapter > computer.

For the voices, I've been using a Logitech desktop mic. Gets the job done.

What can I use to record my amp properly? Sometimes, the guitar tracks (solos, in particular) are too dry, making me sound like The Eagles (not a bad thing, but you get my drift)

Can I do better than my current setup for recording? If so, any suggestions?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: Audacity 1.3 Beta: Can I do better?

Post by sloop_john_b »

Are you willing to spend any money?
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

sloop_john_b wrote:Are you willing to spend any money?
In the short term, no, in the long term, yes. What I mean by this is, I have a workable sound, but I want it better, and to do that, I'm gonna need some dough. I actually do have a good bit saved up, which would be great for a mic.

Also, how useful is the Line6 Pod and what does it do?
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Oops I re-read and see it is a pc my bad........

If you use a Mac check out Amadeus Pro. I find it better than Audacity. 40 bucks!!

http://www.hairersoft.com/AmadeusPro/AmadeusPro.html
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Jake, Macs come with GarageBand, which I think is excellent, especially for something included in the price of the computer.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

I recently got rid of my protools stuff (I did try to like it) and got a Presonus Firestudio Mobile which comes with Studio One software.
Studio One was written by some of the original programmers of Cubase VST and works very well, and the Firestudio mobile set up very easily as well. It's cheap, cheerful and works a charm!

Eden.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Jake, do you just want to do demos for yourself to get your ideas down, or more serious recordings aimed at a release?
chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Post by chrisdski »

In the short term I would suggest you look at a USB A/D box like an M Audio fasttrack. You can get them for $100 and it comes with recording software also (or continue to use your Audacity). Then pick up an SM 57 or 58, probably can find a used one on CL for $50 (or new for ~$100). That $200 will increase the quality of your sound immediately.

In the long term....how much are you willing to spend :twisted: :twisted: GAS!!!
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

sloop_john_b wrote:Jake, do you just want to do demos for yourself to get your ideas down, or more serious recordings aimed at a release?
For presentations to band members: Demos
For full on recording with a band: aimed serious recordings
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

JakeK wrote:
sloop_john_b wrote:Jake, do you just want to do demos for yourself to get your ideas down, or more serious recordings aimed at a release?
For presentations to band members: Demos
For full on recording with a band: aimed serious recordings
So both then? Are you gonna be recording drums?
TommySixGun

Post by TommySixGun »

"hanging a mic" over your amp is always going to be the most challenging thing to record. If you're just recording for fun, get a POD or a Digitech RP product. I have Audacity, Adobe Audition, a Mac with Garage Band and a PC dedicated for Pro Tools. Recording a guitar using a microphone isn't as easy as using an MFX device on any recording software package, IMHO. The best mic I have for recording guitar is a Sennheiser e609.

Tommy
1996 360/6 Mapleglo
1989 Kramer Nightswan
1987 Kramer Baretta
1986 Kramer Stagemaster
1979 Fender Stratocaster
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

TommySixGun wrote:"hanging a mic" over your amp is always going to be the most challenging thing to record. If you're just recording for fun, get a POD or a Digitech RP product. I have Audacity, Adobe Audition, a Mac with Garage Band and a PC dedicated for Pro Tools. Recording a guitar using a microphone isn't as easy as using an MFX device on any recording software package, IMHO. The best mic I have for recording guitar is a Sennheiser e609.

Tommy
+1 - though I note that the use of Pods and their ilk for recording is not necessarily limited to amateurs having fun. It is so much easier to record with this technology - you need the right environment (a real studio - not your living room) and the requisite experience to get a decent sound with a mic, not to mention the right interface equipment....
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

sloop_john_b wrote:So both then? Are you gonna be recording drums?
If I can get a drummer, yes.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

This is pretty cool: http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail ... oductId=60

I use a PreSonus interface and have been more than happy with it. You can get good drum sounds from two mics - kick and carefully-placed overhead. That mic looks like a good one to start with; then perhaps you can grab an SM57 to record kick and guitar and a multitude of other things. 57's work great on vocals too, so long as you have a pop filter to stick in front of it.

Have a really dedicated computer helps too. If your computer is cluttered up, you're gonna run into lots of headaches and frustration.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

And I would agree with the guys who posted above about the Line 6 Pod. I have pretty decent mics and preamps and all (and a space where I can make noise pretty late), but my OLD Pod is still my go-to for recording guitars.

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”