My first recording post

A round-table feedback exchange
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

My first recording post

Post by bartyclue »

Today I am submitting my 1st recording. This was recorded in a day so please forgive the roughness. Also I am not a singer.. well a lead singer anyways, but I did want to record this song so I asked a friend to help. (he not much of a singer either but believe me hes 1000 times better than me. I wrote most of the tune except a few of the lyrics. I hope you like it.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/brbar ... ueTime.mp3
godber
Advanced Member

Re: My first recording post

Post by godber »

bartyclue wrote:...Also I am not a singer.. well a lead singer anyways, but I did want to record this song so I asked a friend to help...
So how long have you been friends with Ian McCulloch, Brian? Nice one, like it. :D

beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

bartyclue wrote:Today I am submitting my 1st recording. This was recorded in a day so please forgive the roughness. I wrote most of the tune except a few of the lyrics. I hope you like it.
Nice work, and especially if it was hurried. I was especially impressed at the recording/mixing skills that I heard on the song. The bass sounds really good to me, but all of the instruments have a well defined space in your mix. Great job... keep 'em coming. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

I thought that sounded great!

I do think there is an Echo and the Bunnymen influence there as well, but, as I'm a fan of that band too, it works for me :)

Nice job!
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

Danotron wrote:I thought that sounded great!

I do think there is an Echo and the Bunnymen influence there as well, but, as I'm a fan of that band too, it works for me :)

Nice job!
Thanks for the kind words

I swear.. I had to google "Ian Mculloch" I had heard of the E and Bmen.. kinda hard not to remember a name like that, but I had never heard their music until today. I like their song. There is absolutely no intentional influence whatsoever. I really dont think my friend is a great vocalist either, but he did ok I guess. We recorded this in a former sheep pen turned into a machine shop. I remember looking around thinking to myself how are we going to get a decent cut with everything bouncing off of all kinds of weird angles and metal. A lot of metal was in the shop at the time. Recorded on a PC with Cubase and then a lot of post session tweaking with a few VST's.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Oh....I don't know.....I think you're being a bit too modest about yours and your friend's vocal skills. I've certainly heard a lot worse!
JimK
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

Ok so here is a couple of more tunes. 1st one is with the singer I mentioned earlier. Regrettably he lost his acreage in a nasty divorce so we never did get to do any post production work on this track.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/brbar ... acrowd.mp3

And this is one I did in my basement by myself. I am bass player but started as guitar player until I realized the bass was my passion. I do however, thought I played some decent guitar in this.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/brbar ... ofzero.mp3
ram

Post by ram »

Brian, good sound - I like it... keep 'em coming!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

Ok.. this was done with a guitar player who briefly played with us. He didnt like "In due time" so he went away and rearranged it. He also sang it. At the time I thought it was blatant Dylan rip off....

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/brbar ... toblue.mp3
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Nice work all, around, Brian. You really should give yourself and the vocals more credit. I definitely see the Ian McCulloch connection, too. And it's a favorable one, trust me!

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”