Spökraket recordings fresh from Cable Hell Studios

A round-table feedback exchange
Jonesey

Spökraket recordings fresh from Cable Hell Studios

Post by Jonesey »

Hi guys...
I'm still pretty new here and there ain't much jangle in these recordings even though I do jangle sometimes. Unless you tear off my head for not jangling in the first place, you'll hear it later :lol:
But still you might like these recordings by my band Spökraket, "Lazy Love" is shoegaze with a twist of Happy Mondays. Bjørn from my band borrows my 330 and is panned right, I'm playing my Jazzmaster on the left. "So Ein Dinger" is krautrock inspired psychedelic improvisation - I play some funky and noisy stuff on my 330. A tiny bit under the influence, but nevertheless still ambitious :lol:

Hopes to get a multitrack reel-to-reel soon - remember this is recorded on a Behringer 2-track sound card.

Enjoy:

http://spoekraket.bandcamp.com/
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Spökraket recordings fresh from Cable Hell Studios

Post by jps »

Is your bassist really that old? :shock: :mrgreen:

Sounds great for a simple two track recording. 8)
scotty

Post by scotty »

Well he does often stop halfway through a set and tells a nice story 8) Good stuff
Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

[quote="jps"]Is your bassist really that old? :shock: :mrgreen:

I didn't get that - what do you mean? He's younger than most RR-members.
Thanks mate, stay tuned for more - the next one will probably be a jangle drone-folk tune.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Its the name of the bass player :wink:
ram

Post by ram »

yeah H.C. Anderson was born like in the early 1800's. That would make him a very old bassist indeed... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The tune is neat - kinda a late 60's feel to it. Agreed, great effort for a two track.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

Oh my, I was pretty slow there...
Thanks for the feedback, there's another song there as well ("So Ein Dinger"), partially improvised late at night. We'll soon redo it with Jesper on vocals, I'll post it when it's ready. The vocals at the end of the tune was a friend of Hans Christian visiting from Copenhagen.
And yeah, we're into 60's music - it was a great period with lots of great records and inventions. However IMO the most 60's element is the heavy panning - I think it comes closer to late 80's shoegaze with an element of Happy Mondays.

Have you got any recommendations when recording drums in a primitive setup? I'd like slightly more kick on the bass drum and we're just using a cheap SM58 copy for it.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Can you give us more info on the recording setup you are using?
Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

Sure! We recorded on a cheap Behringer soundcard going through a great 70's Yamaha EM300 mixing desk using the monitor out in order to prevent digital distortion.
The Rickenbacker was going through a Marshall solid state and miced by a 58 copy, and panned right, my Jazzmaster was through a Vox Defiant amp and miced by a Sennheiser and panned left. The Squiere Precision was through a Gallien Kruger using the line out and panned left.
And finally the nice old 60's Sonor (underrated brand IMO) was miced with two overheads, a 58-copy in the bass drum and some weird stereo mic taped to the hi-hat stand as we had run out of proper mic-stands at the time. All drums except one of the overheads was panned right with the Rick.

After that we just did various vocal takes at home until we were happy. Our general problem is that the bass drum don't get enough kick and the bass could use slightly more definition - is this possible to fix without spending hard earned cash on a dedicated bass drum? Would a pre-mixing desk EQ be able to solve the problem? We'd like to keep the process as analog as possible. Can we by any means get more bass drum through post-recording EQ?

"So Ein Dinger" is done with a condenser on the left and the output from the desk (bass drum, vocals, tambourine, synth) panned right. This usually works fine with clean guitar sounds, but the (cheap and trebly) condenser don't seem to handle a spectorish wall-of-sound from two distorted guitars too well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
fluffy
Intermediate Member

Post by fluffy »

The only advice I can offer is KEEP IT UP!!! great sound I really dig it. Most of the German bands I listen to are Psychobilly, you are a refreshing change up :D
♪♫♪♫I need new strings, these ones have a bunch of dang wrong notes on 'em ♫♪♫♪

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/thesubtleties
Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

Thanks a lot Fluffy, I'm glad you like it :D
I don't know about the German scene of today except Malory but in the 70's it was awesome; Can, Neu!, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream just to name a few.
We're from Denmark which is close to Germany, but the music scene here is more indie-oriented.
We'll record new songs after our first gig in mid-april. BTW, the bass is a Jazzbass not a Precision.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I have a client at my photo lab who recently moved back to the US from Copenhagen, here is a print we made for Hael.
fluffy
Intermediate Member

Post by fluffy »

Jonesey wrote:Thanks a lot Fluffy, I'm glad you like it :D
I don't know about the German scene of today except Malory but in the 70's it was awesome; Can, Neu!, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream just to name a few.
We're from Denmark which is close to Germany, but the music scene here is more indie-oriented.
We'll record new songs after our first gig in mid-april. BTW, the bass is a Jazzbass not a Precision.
awww Kraftwerk .. takes me back to days gone by 8)
and my apologies for the confusion I should have asked where you were from instead of assumed :oops: :oops:
♪♫♪♫I need new strings, these ones have a bunch of dang wrong notes on 'em ♫♪♫♪

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/thesubtleties
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Well, Bella Lugosi ain't dead, that's for sure! Nice work; kudos to the whole band. I liked the balance of the fuzz & chime.
Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

Hehe, nevermind - I'm an internationalist; don't care about borders as they're just some abitrary lines on a map anyway :wink:
Thanks for the words Walker. I guess you're right that there's some Bauhaus to it. Better check out the song you mentioned as my knowledge of them is very superficial but I sure see what you mean regarding the voice.
We just got a 4-track tape recorder - can't wait to record new songs with warm analogue sound and endless sampling rate.

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”