America 2011

A round-table feedback exchange
walker
Advanced Member

America 2011

Post by walker »

This is a song by The Reply called 'America.' No relation to the Yes/Simon & Garfunkel song, that is... until I noticed that the tempo was close enough to the Yes version that I could play some of the Squire bass lines along with it. Since the guy in 'The Reply' is a friend of mine, I tracked my bass and mixed it in with his original version just for the hell of it, paraphrasing one of the main themes that Chris Squire played in the solo section of the Yes version.

The Reply - America
woodyng

Re: America 2011

Post by woodyng »

very cool,Mark!
ram

Post by ram »

the first time thru is a great tune (I just listen for the overall effect). Subsequent listens and Clint needs to be brought up in the mix, but still a great tune. Has Club Throb all over it!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

I was feeling the same thing Tom noticed about the mix - a little bass-heavy, even for my usual bass-heavy taste. So I brought the bass down in the mix so that I'm complimenting Clint's track moreso than stepping on it. And upon Dane Paul Terry's suggestion, I've added Mr. Bruford's snare to the mix, sampled from YES' 'America' of course! And I added a third bass line to enhance the syncopation of the bass fill and did a bunch of crazy panning & whatnot. It makes for an animated headphone listen. It's at the same link above.
Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

Nice stuff - it's got that Madchester-flavour to it :)
I don't think the bass is too loud, but a tiny bit more vocals wouldn't hurt.
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

Great stuff Mark. Loved the bass work. Mark
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Thanks, guys. I agree on the vocal mix. But all I had access to was Clint's original master, so I couldn't really do much outside of a little EQ to try and make his voice stand out a little more. That's what made adding my bass tracks a challenge - making them fit in with the rhythm tracks without burying the vocals. But it works for what it is, just a little for-the-hell-of-it mix. If I had it to do over, I'd back off on the sub lows of my bass and boost it a little more at around 250-400hz so that the tracks don't compete so much with the subs of Clint's rhythm tracks during the louder parts.
Last edited by walker on Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Good stuff, that sounds excellent Mark! I "Liked" it too! I'd say that the next time I see you, I'd want your autograph, but I have it already! :wink:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”