Upwell collaboration

A round-table feedback exchange
walker
Advanced Member

Upwell collaboration

Post by walker »

I have some friends in Seattle in the progressive hardcore band Upwell. They are currently sans bassplayer, and sent me three of their newest songs still in the works to mess around with. This is the first one I took on, OGRE. It's instrumental for now, but will eventually have words once Michelle comes up with them. This is a combination of a live rehearsal-room recording in Seattle, and the bass tracked in my studio in NY.

Featured bass - 1979 4001 "V63" aka 'The Harley Bass'

ram

Re: Upwell collaboration

Post by ram »

Nice colab Mark… lots of cool stuff going on there. Will be interesting to hear the vocals version! Once again the tone of the Harley is fantastic and it compliments the tune quite well.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Ilikewater

Post by Ilikewater »

The bass sounds great, but it is a little in front of the mix. I'm guessing that's due to the way it was all recorded, but damn it sounds bad ***. I don't mind a bass sounding like that out in front.
To be joyous is to be a mad man in a world filled with sad ghosts. - H. Miller
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Thanks, guys. I do agree on the mix, though, Jimmy. It's these damn Rick-centric ears! But honestly, it would be easy enough to bring it down in the mix and still be well-balanced. You should have heard the FIRST mix - brother! "Nice bass solo - was there someone else playing in the next room?" But this whole song will be retracked once Upwell arrives at a finished version, so no one's too concerned about the quality of the mix just yet.

By the way, Tom - this tune sounds to me like it takes a stroll through Quantum Kids territory!
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Just curious - has anyone noticed that Upwell is comprised of Nicole Kidman, Natalie Portman, and Megan Fox?
ram

Post by ram »

walker wrote:Just curious - has anyone noticed that Upwell is comprised of Nicole Kidman, Natalie Portman, and Megan Fox?
I thought they looked familiar... ;^)

And yes The Q'kids affinity was noticed but I didn't want to cloud the issue. As you know I have a real LIKE for that band but didn't want to dilute Upwell review.

Do you think there will be vocals anytime soon?
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

No cloudiness on my front, Tom! I figured the comparison was pretty obvious. I could actually see Michelle writing words to some of the QK stuff, too. And as words go, none yet from the Upwell camp, but I know they're plugging away.
ram

Post by ram »

that might be an interesting colab - I'll mention it to Jack.

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”