'Chapel Perilous'

A round-table feedback exchange
walker
Advanced Member

'Chapel Perilous'

Post by walker »

Here's my latest joint effort with some friends of mine. I originally produced this track last Fall for a rapper here in NYC who never followed through on his end, leaving the track to collect dust. So I sent it to my vocalist friend French Walker (no relation that I'm aware of) and then she fwd'd it to her rapper friend Lewka Peel. Rap music isn't really my forte, but it was fun to so and I was pretty impressed by what they came up with.

Chapel Perilous

There IS Rick bass in it, but not until 4:04.

the Harley bass, my fave for maxing out gain!

The synth bass is done on an old Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, along with most of the additional synth stuff on the track. The plucked string sound was done with a Yamaha CS1x.
admin
Site Admin

Re: 'Chapel Perilous'

Post by admin »

Mark: What a great recording. I really like the groove that you have going. A provocative title sets the stage for a most unique song.

The vocals are really interesting. I find the haunting "you have no idea why, you have no idea when" really grounds the listener while the rapping tells the tale.

The mix is terrific and you must have spent ages on it. I have not always given rap the time it may deserve but in this mix you really have something going, Thanks also for your notes as a composer, performer and producer.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Thanks, Peter. It didn't really take terribly long. And French gets credit for the song title. She's good with the provocative words. Honestly, I don't know what it means - haven't bothered to ask. And I agree - the play between the melody & rap works out really nice. I was actually a little trepidacious when French told me that she had passed the song to a rapper friend of hers - that wasn't part of the original plan, but after hearing what Lewka did, I was really happy that it went that direction. SO glad that his style & words go deeper than the usual misogynistic materialistic carp that dominates the rap genre.

Here's more from French for those who are interested:

http://www.americanhoodoo.com/French-Walker-Videos.html
Last edited by walker on Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Yes,that was cool! I usually run in the opposite direction of rap,but i liked that. (having a melodic based chord sequence really helps!) :wink: love the sound of the old synthes,too. Nice work,Mark! ( but we have come to expect that from you,right?) :P
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Thanks Woody! When my "big letdown" offering arrives, I'll be sure to say "I meant to do that."
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

:lol:

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”