Monkees cover posted

A round-table feedback exchange
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Monkees cover posted

Post by beatbyrd »

I tried to channel my best Davy Jones for "Daydream Believer". I plan to try a Nez tune, as well as a Dolenz song at some point in the future. The song can be found at the bottom of the page at: http://beatbyrd.com/misc_covers
Now, with time running out, I'm gonna try and scramble to make the RRF CD deadline. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Monkees cover posted

Post by aceonbass »

My favorite Monkees tune! Did you do all the backing tracks yourself? They were practically indistinguishable from the original. The vocal range required to sing this tune is deceptively difficult, but you did a fine job. When I've done it, I try to mimmick DJ's English accent as well though.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Excellent, Tom. 8) Did you do the vocals through the LA-610 on this?
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

aceonbass wrote:My favorite Monkees tune! Did you do all the backing tracks yourself? They were practically indistinguishable from the original. The vocal range required to sing this tune is deceptively difficult, but you did a fine job. When I've done it, I try to mimmick DJ's English accent as well though.
That 'favorite' line really surprises me, Dane. I would have figured the song as a bit too much pop fluff...... Yes, I painstakingly did every part that I heard on the original (except for the ringing alarm clock, which I couldn't find a patch for...). The strings and horns (and drums) sound like they are keyboard patches. I enjoyed doing the bass track the most.

My first few takes had the thicker Davy accent, but I backed that down because it became tiresome and sounded like I was trying too hard (hope that makes sense). The high harmonies are in full voice, not falsetto. I had to record these over a couple of different nights; the old guy got tired too quickly. Thanks for the comments. Tom

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

jps wrote:Excellent, Tom. 8) Did you do the vocals through the LA-610 on this?
Hi Jeff. Yes, the vocals were the first things recorded with my new toy. It'll be a while before I get it completely dialed in. So far, it's a definite keeper. I know that I'm going to really appreciate the LA-610, especially once I start putting other tracks through it. I really dig the compressor. Thanks. Tom

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Well, that is nice to know, as I thought the vocals sounded great, very natural and it sat in the mix perfectly. 8) I have to wonder if it would make me sound so good............let's not find out. :wink:
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

jps wrote:Well, that is nice to know, as I thought the vocals sounded great, very natural and it sat in the mix perfectly. 8) I have to wonder if it would make me sound so good............let's not find out. :wink:
FEEEEELINGZZZZZ, Woe, Woe, Woe, FEEEEELINGZZZZ.............

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I thought it was about a dentist all this time! :shock:

FIIIIILINGZZZZZ, Trying To Forget My FIIIIILINGZZZZ.............
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

jps wrote:I thought it was about a dentist all this time! :shock:

FIIIIILINGZZZZZ, Trying To Forget My FIIIIILINGZZZZ.............
Well, I use to think about painful dental visits back when I had to play the song every night, week after week.

STOP!!!! I confess!!!!! I started World War II !!!!! Arrrrrrgghhh!!!!!

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Excellent job as usual, Tom! Keep up the great work.

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”