Channel Strip Question

A round-table feedback exchange
jimk
RRF Consultant

Channel Strip Question

Post by jimk »

I've been shopping for a channel strip and I've found two that I like that are within my budget.
Presonus Studio Channel
Joemeek threeQ

The only drawback that I can see is that each of them only has one mic, and one line input. What I want to do is record the lead vocal, lead guitar, and drums in stereo, using two mics. It looks like I'd need two channel strips. Or is there another solution?
JimK
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Channel Strip Question

Post by jps »

Channel strips are general single channel affairs. What is your plan as far as being able to record lead vocal, lead guitar, and drums in stereo, using two mics? Do you mean two mics on the drums plus inputs for your vocals and guitar, or two mics total for everything? That would be separate 4 inputs, right? There are mics preamps out there with 2, 3, 4 or more mic preamps in them but they usually are not "strips" in that they would not have EQ and/or compression on them, too.

To answer your question about which of those two channel strips to get, a lot of it comes down to what kind of sound you are looking for, a clean, pristine sound or something that offers it's own personality to the mix?
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

As I'm a one man band, everything is overdubbed. So that means I really only need two mics at a time. Here's the strategy I've been using without a channel strip:
Scratch track in mono voice & acoustic guitar,
External click track direct;
Two mics on the drums; one on the bass, one overhead;
Bass guitar direct,
Rhythm guitar in mono,
Lead guitar with two mics on the amp cab,
Lead vocal, two mics,
Each harmony vocal one mic.

JimK
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Maybe you're going to analog I can see why you might prefer a channel strip. It even makes sense if you have a really great, professional A-D device like a Motu HD192 or similar.

But if you're using a DAW, wouldn't something like this work for you?

http://tinyurl.com/d4em2xv

Even if you already have some other USB or Firewire card, the low cost of this is very attractive for two line or mic inputs.

I have a fairly sophisticated studio in which I've done work for many pro CD's and movie sound tracks, yet I don't have any "channel strips" per se and don't miss them at all. My MOTU is directly connect to a Mackie Onyx board and the board's VLZ preamps have provided absolutely stunning mic'ed tracks. (I have the option of using the Onyx's Firewire and so bypassing the Mackie, but usually stick with the MOTU.)

Personally, I'd rather spend money for channel strips on upgrading the quality of microphones instead.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I plead ignorance. I suppose DAW is an acronym for Digital Audio Workstation. That being true, does a TASCAM DP-02 qualify?

How about this one, or this one?
JimK
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Your Tascam for all intents and purpose is an analog recorder at the front end, so you'll have to stick with analog boxes if you're committed to that.

Of course, with your computer and this, which costs less than a strip, you'd be ready to record multi-track AND edit your work.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Looks attractive. I'll think about it. Thanks.
JimK
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Jim, I agree with John that you are better off learning to embrace, or at least, accept that fact that digital is here to stay for audio (I am slowly coming round to that regarding photography! :mrgreen: :( ). Back when I had my TASCAM 3440 I loved the sound quality but being a one man band, so to speak, it was a PITA to do overdubs well as I had to split my energy and concentration on being both a musician and an engineer, especially so when I had to do punches. I have not done a lot, yet, with a DAW, but it does offer a lot more control and flexibility; besides, in this day and age for the most part the final product is supplied in a digital format, anyway. I suppose you could bounce the final mix to a nice half track tape machine or cut a lacquer with one of these:
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

jps wrote:Jim, I agree with John that you are better off learning to embrace, or at least, accept that fact that digital is here to stay for audio (I am slowly coming round to that regarding photography!
Of course, with the Tascam, he's already "digital". Unfortunately, it's limited to 44.1K Hz and 16 bits, whereas even that cheap ProSonus starter kit handles 48K Hz and 24 bits. Of course, you don't really need more than 16 bits to do a straight to CD job, since that's CD standard, but when you start adding effects plugins, you really need 20 or more to keep the quality up.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Right now, I have just been dabbling in GarageBand. All I am using it for is to "jot down" musical ideas and adding a few parts to see how they work.

As for the Tascam and digital, yes, it certainly is, I guess I was differentiating it from a DAW based system but wasn't clear on that.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

jps wrote:Right now, I have just been dabbling in GarageBand. All I am using it for is to "jot down" musical ideas and adding a few parts to see how they work.
It's really a remarkable product for the money and I use it the same way as you do all the time. Quite a number of the tunes off our new CD I started on my iPhone, some bumped up to the iPad, and then imported as audio into ProTools or Sonar. (One of the best songs started out while I was on a plane . . .) Ultimately all of the Garage Band tracks were replaced with live performance in the studio in one form or another but it made it very easy to preview the tunes to the other band members.

I haven't spent any time looking into the possibilities and the hardware, but it would have been nice to take some of the IOS Garage Band tracks over as MIDI for use in the "real" DAW but I suspect it would require a MAC to do that properly.

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”