My Beatles "The Night Before" cover won a contest

A round-table feedback exchange
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

I entered a Beatles cover contest as a lark and ended up winning with my cover of "The Night Before", from Help! First prize is a couple of Jay Turser guitars and a Ludwig snare drum. I'm just honored that they selected my cover. It's here: http://www.beatbyrd.com/beatles
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: My Beatles "The Night Before" cover won a contest

Post by Folkie »

Congratulations, Tom! 8) You could have chosen just about any of your Beatles covers for the contest. I really like the guitars and vocals in particular on this one. Nice work, as always!

Robert
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Tom,

While I'm here, there's a question or two I've been wanting to ask you about your version of "Chimes of Freedom." Specifically, what chord voicings do you use for the G and C chords? I hear a lot of jangle on your version: does this come from hitting the unison strings on upstrokes with the Janglebox set to Bright or JangleBoost? It's the only part of McGuinn's version that I've failed to replicate. Any pointers would be much appreciated. 8)

Thanks,

Robert
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Folkie wrote:Tom,

While I'm here, there's a question or two I've been wanting to ask you about your version of "Chimes of Freedom." Specifically, what chord voicings do you use for the G and C chords? I hear a lot of jangle on your version: does this come from hitting the unison strings on upstrokes with the Janglebox set to Bright or JangleBoost? It's the only part of McGuinn's version that I've failed to replicate. Any pointers would be much appreciated. 8)

Thanks,

Robert

Hi Robert, Thanks for the congrats. I can't help you much on Chimes of Freedom questions, because it was so long ago. I keep some notes on each tune, but by no means exhaustive. As I recall, I double tracked the rhythm part - once with a very thin pick and once with fingerstyle. The JB2 was probably set on heavy treble and right into the recorder (no amp). Standard C and G nut chords; nothing special. Hope this helps. Sorry that I don't remember more. Tom

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

What you've said has been very helpful. In the interests of not totally derailing this thread, I've sent you a PM with some more questions. I hope you're enjoying your new gear. Congratulations again on the fine work!

Robert
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Tom - congrats on winning the contest ! ! :D 8)
That's a great version you did of Night Before ..... your lead and backing vocals are superb !
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

A big congratulations from me! I can't think of anyone who could deserve it more.
JimK
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Thanks as always Rich and Jim.

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
gibsonlp
Technical Admin