Another new recording finished. What do you think?

A round-table feedback exchange
Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: Another new recording finished. What do you think?

Post by Folkie »

Wonderful guitar sound and vocals. Is this an original?
albiesinger

Post by albiesinger »

Folkie wrote:Wonderful guitar sound and vocals. Is this an original?
Thanks for the nice comment, yes it is my song. I've written all the songs I've posted.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

As I said, fine work, Stuart! This sounds like a full band. What gear was used on this recording, and who plays what parts? I would be interested to hear some more of your material. What else have you posted?
8mileshigher

Another new recording finished. What do you think?

Post by 8mileshigher »

Sounds good, Stu.
What Rics played ?
Rya

Post by Rya »

8mileshigher wrote:Sounds good, Stu.
What Rics played ?
Thanks. I'm getting quite a lot of hits on my FB page for that song, which is nice. (Over 8k so far FB tell me).
I have my Ric 330 that's all. I love it, it's been the guitar I've dreamt of having since I was a kid, and when I got it it was everything I imagined. It's just an amazing guitar. I would very much like a Ric bass, but I just don't have the money, maybe one day! :D
Rya

Post by Rya »

Folkie wrote:As I said, fine work, Stuart! This sounds like a full band. What gear was used on this recording, and who plays what parts? I would be interested to hear some more of your material. What else have you posted?
Thanks. This song is actually doing very well since I posted it a couple of days ago. I play all the parts on this recording.
The instruments used were my Ric 330, a Shure 10a mic, and a bass guitar that has no markings on it at all.
The bass has really been through the wars and is an awful thing to play and very heavy. I bought it around '87. It's only ever had one change of strings in about '90 (and I didn't do that).
The Ric was played through a 'Liverpool' footpedal. This is basically a Vox amp emulator I use as I don't own a guitar amp.
I record into a Korg D888 8-track and then move the tracks over to the laptop where I work within Cubase and Soundforge. For the drums I use Addictive Drums. I spend a huge amount of time working on the drums. With this song, the Ride cymbals are still too loud in the bridge, but I've had enough of it now so it will have to do!
There's about 4 or 5 guitar parts on this song and 2 vocals (one lead, one harmony). There's a Phaser effect on the guitar 'solo' which was added within Cubase. Something else as well, but I can't remember what. Maybe a 'Doubler'. Obviously, the solo is also very heavily compressed. The lead vocal was split into 3 parts within Cubase (verse, chorus, and hook line) and each part was treated with different reverbs, compressors etc, according to what feel I wanted within that section of the song.
The recording took a morning, the boring production/mixing side took a week.

I have written and recorded a lot of songs, some I post on here. I always post new songs on the FB page (http://www.facebook.com/rya68). They all go thro Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/rya66)
I have just withdrawn my old recordings from iTunes, but am in the process of submitting a new project so there should be songs on there again soon.

Again, thanks for listening and thanks for the feedback, it's always great to hear what people think.
Wow, that was a long answer- time for coffee!
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Stuart,

This is very impressive work, and I feel your music deserves a larger audience. Have you thought about trying to get a record deal?

Robert
Rya

Post by Rya »

Folkie wrote:Stuart,

This is very impressive work, and I feel your music deserves a larger audience. Have you thought about trying to get a record deal?

Robert

Thanks Robert, glad you like some of the songs. No, I've never tried to get a record deal. The closest I came to anything like that was when someone from one of the big companies came to my house and offered me cash for one of my songs. This was because the song in question suited the band they had signed, but the band only performed their own songs. I said no to that offer.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Rya wrote:
Folkie wrote:Stuart,

Robert

Thanks Robert, glad you like some of the songs. No, I've never tried to get a record deal. The closest I came to anything like that was when someone from one of the big companies came to my house and offered me cash for one of my songs. This was because the song in question suited the band they had signed, but the band only performed their own songs. I said no to that offer.
With the quality of your songwriting and the professional polish of the recordings, I would say that some of your music could be ready for indie-rock radio. Why settle for a small online audience when you could possibly gain wider exposure? Just my two cents. I enjoyed the songs and will continue to listen to them here. :D
Rya

Post by Rya »

Cheers Robert, really appreciate your positive comments. I've taken your advice and submitted a few songs to some internet radio stations.

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”