General overseas gear swap question

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

General overseas gear swap question

Post by kennyhowes »

Hey guys...I have been corresponding with a guy in England (I am in The States) and we have agreed on a trade. Trouble is, I'm not too sure how to do the transaction without a certain ammount of blind faith (who sends what first, who potentially gets ripped off and how to avoid it, etc.).

Any tips? Anyone experienced at this? Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Kenny: This is a very good question and one that everyone faces who shops online. The biggest single difficulty you are going to have is determining the integrity of the person with whom you are doing business. Once you are satisfied with the honesty of this person, you are then better able to set aside the concerns surrounding the condition of the instrument.

In my view, there is no substitute in communicating "live" with the individual on repeated occasions and backing-up your impression by getting comments and references from third parties who are known and have no apparent vested interest. In the end, it is a leap of faith to a degree. What does help both parties is an emailed copy of the shipping invoice and a tracking number. While this does not guarantee that a box of rocks has not been sent, it increases the odds of a legitimate deal.

There are third party folks that you can deal with online but this is not fool proof either. Many folks who post to this Forum have bought instruments from all over the world and I trust that their comments here will be helpful. In short, there is no substitute, for getting to know the seller. I would advise against communicating exclusively via email.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
carr

Post by carr »

"Hey guys...I have been corresponding with a guy in England (I am in The States) and we have agreed on a trade. Trouble is, I'm not too sure how to do the transaction without a certain ammount of blind faith "

where is the seller located in England?
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Ummm...haven't asked him yet.
banta
Veteran RRF member

Post by banta »

There may be a service online that can help you with the trade. If your concern is mutual, you may be able to arrive at an agreement with the overseas trader to share the expense of letting a third party aid in the transaction. I know there are escrow services that do this with money, I'm sure that there must be a similar service for items.

If you want, you can both send your items to me and I'll forward them after I check them out! hehe Image
carr

Post by carr »

Kenny Howes,

Illbe in England from Sept1.Maybe just maybe I could check it out for you

John
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Re: General overseas gear swap question

Post by kennyhowes »

I am once again faced with this problem - parts swap, dude is in Germany, not on the Forum or on eBay. I've been burned once this way and am looking for suggestions other than blind faith.
collin

Post by collin »

Lots of good forum members in Germany - maybe somebody here could act as broker?
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

collin wrote:Lots of good forum members in Germany - maybe somebody here could act as broker?
+1
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

doctorwho wrote:
collin wrote:Lots of good forum members in Germany - maybe somebody here could act as broker?
+1
+2
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

kennyhowes wrote:I am once again faced with this problem - parts swap, dude is in Germany, not on the Forum or on eBay. I've been burned once this way and am looking for suggestions other than blind faith.
Easy. Tell him to send your parts and when you receive them, send his!
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

johnhall wrote:
kennyhowes wrote:I am once again faced with this problem - parts swap, dude is in Germany, not on the Forum or on eBay. I've been burned once this way and am looking for suggestions other than blind faith.
Easy. Tell him to send your parts and when you receive them, send his!
He's already suggested the same thing in reverse.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Seems legit
1620612_1408629516059769_435100660_n.jpg
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

Kenny, PM sent.
collin

Post by collin »

xpitt wrote:Kenny, PM sent.

FYI - Alex is the exact guy I had in mind when I mention forum members in Germany. Great guy!

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”