The Ballad of Bering Strait

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

philco
Intermediate Member

The Ballad of Bering Strait

Post by philco »

I picked up a music DVD in Wal-Mart the other day for $14.88. It was dirt cheap compared to the prices some of you guys actually ADMIT to paying for live concerts. Image It had won the 2002 Audience Award and is the documentary of Russia's first country music band to be successful in the USA. It also contains their excellent Wolf Trap concert, their MTV music video, and Alexander the drummer's funny little campfire song sung in Russian around a real campfire. You would never know they were from Russia when listening to their concert for the first time, until the last song which is sung in Russian. It's my favorite song, because they really rock on that one. I think we will hear some really GREAT popular music bands from Russia in the near future, if this music video is any indication of the quality of musicians being produced in Russia today. I was really impressed by the formal musical education they had received since young children before coming to America. Even while on their summer vacation to the Black Sea resort, their music teacher had them practicing 10 hours a day! They can probably play just about anything they set their minds to judging by their technical abilities. They are all truly excellent musicians.

Any of you guys out there who play or just like country music should definitely check out "The Ballad of Bering Strait". I plan on looking for Bering Strait records today at Hastings and FYE.

I really liked that Carvin LB75 bass that Sergei plays. I'm gonna look for one just like it on eBay. It should complement my 4004L and OLP MM2 bass just fine.

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”