THE LIGHT SHOW, RESURRECTED

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

THE LIGHT SHOW, RESURRECTED

Post by jingle_jangle »

Now I can publicize it. Over the last 10 months, I've been working with Bob Singer at Waterstone Guitars, to revive the Light Show concept.

Some of you have already seen the results of our work in the North of Malibu video that we've posted, which featured the three handbuilt prototypes of the Waterstone "Light Fire" guitar and bass. NOM will be a featured artist on the Waterstone website, and the video will be posted there. The first batch of guitars and basses are being completed over the next few weeks, and I hope to see these do well in Waterstone's line.

These are available in two configurations--bass and guitar, and three pearlescent colors--charcoal, aqua, and tangerine. The colors were derived from show car colors of the 1960s. The guitars and basses have humbucker pickups, and a three-channel, custom-designed LS circuit that is battery-powered and self-contained. As with the Rick LSs, there are large circuit boards filling both halves of the guitar body, and the LEDs on these are mounted directly to the boards, which have had their tops left tinned for reflectivity. Everything is wired with computer cables and ribbon connectors for fail-safe operation.

The swirly plastic pattern on these is more edgy and contemporary than the Rickenbacker pattern. As you can see, I based the body shapes on my own favorite Fender offset body style. The necks have maple fretboards with black clay dots and a reversed headstock, as well as a matte amber nitro finish. MSRP should be under $1K, and each instrument comes strung with D'Addario strings and is shipped in a black Tolex hard shell case lined in black plush.

Be the envy of all your friends, first on your block, hated by every drummer (who thought he was the center of attention, until you lit up!), etc.

Write Bob at Waterstone to pre-order, now.

Geez, does this sound like a PLUG?

kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: THE LIGHT SHOW, RESURRECTED

Post by kiramdear »

We got a sneak preview in your North Of Malibu video, I believe. Those are awesome, Paul. What is the scale length on these models (hmmmm?) ?
All I wanna do is rock!
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Those are pretty nifty, PW. What exactly is the body material?
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

If the production ones are as well built as your prototypes Paul they will be well worth a look!

How did the bass sound? They look like big growly Alnico things them pickups!

Eden.
Last edited by weemac on Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Kira, the scale length is 25.5", like a Strat. A shorty would be cool, wouldn't it?

Stan, the bodies are wood--I have not got final specs yet. The guitars are made in Asia, so it will most likely be an Asian species.

Eden, I'm not primarily a bass player. There is a nice tonal variety, but as to character, it will be generic due to the Asian components and manufacture. For sure, not a Rickenbacker.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Way cool. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Can I offer my pro bono services for "product testing"................. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Hey, no fair, Brian! :evil: :lol: That's my line! :lol:

I can offer free pickup and delivery to and from our hi-tech testing facility just minutes away :mrgreen:
All I wanna do is rock!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

It's on Waterstone's home page:

http://www.modguitars.com
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

Wow! That sounded great...................well done!

Looked cool too, a whole band of lightshows. You'll have to figure something out for the drummer.

How soon 'till we start seeing these in our local pubs?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Sometime this summer. MSRP somewhere around $850.00, including HSC.
collin

Post by collin »

Nice Paul! Very cool, and a big congratulations!

Is the neck on the guitars a standard 25.5" scale, like a standard Fender? I really dig the jag/JM body, but I can't stand maple necks.....SO...would a RW Fender bolt right on?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

It's 25.5" scale.

My original handmade sample had a rosewood fretboard. Knowing, however, the wood that the Chinese use when rosewood is specified (which they call rosewood, but which looks like Formica), and never having seen a decent maple board on a Chinese guitar, I specified tinted maple with black clay dots. They nailed the look I wanted.

Haven't tried the Fender neck...I'll have to get back to you on that one.
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

Great video. I'm loving the gypsy surf complete with Ric Mandolin!

I'll be watching these guitars, Paul. With a set of single coils it would be a great addition to my stable.

Very nice indeed.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Danotron wrote:Looked cool too, a whole band of lightshows. You'll have to figure something out for the drummer.
A light show bass drum head maybe?

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”