Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Re: Worst Band Ever Butchers Pink Floyd

Post by rickenbrother »

beatbyrd wrote:And this band should definitely be booked. Tom
You must mean like, getting arrested! :lol:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

rickenbrother wrote:
beatbyrd wrote:And this band should definitely be booked. Tom
You must mean like, getting arrested! :lol:
I sets 'em up and you knocks 'em down. :wink: Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
johnnysain

Post by johnnysain »

The instrument makers are threatening to sue.
Rickenbacker player since 1978
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

While I grant you that anyone who consents to posting their video on youtube may be fair game for criticism, I am swept away by a bitter sweet moment here.

Perhaps it is the holiday lights that have pulled at my heart as they cast their reflections on the new snow but I ask myself how the band members in this video may feel about the comments that we have placed before them. Perhaps I see a little of myself in the band members; the desire to emulate the music I love and the perception that my efforts approximate the real deal.

So what should we use as our yardstick as we assess our musical worth? Should it be the feeling we have in joining with others? Should it be how those watching us react to our simple attempts at emulation? Should we consider seriously those objective comments made by third parties? Perhaps there are moments when it is doing the best with what we have that lights the morning star.

I am once again reminded that the forest would be a very silent place if it was inhabited only by those birds that sang best.

Your discussion about what is good about this video, should you see redeeming features, would also be appreciated.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
NFB-418

Post by NFB-418 »

Wow, Peter, way to get deep on us. I realize that there are a lot of harsh comments here and on YouTube (the original source of the video). I don't know why we derive pleasure from watching others fail (schadenfreude, anyone?). Perhaps it's because we're glad it's not one of us on that video or maybe because we've all had similar experiences and can relate. But, I'm of the mind that if you get up to perform in front of people you better know what the heck you're doing or not do it at all. We don't know what the circumstances were in regard to those guys coming together to do that performance. I would still argue that they knew they were completely unprepared and their ambition outweighed their talent. I mean, look at their faces. Still, I give them an "A" for finishing the song when they could've just given up.

On an embarrassing personal note, I was doing a version of Godspell years ago and during a live performance of my solo (I had "All Good Gifts") I went into the chorus a measure or two too early. It sounded horrible. I felt the blood rush to my face as my cast members looked at me in horror. For a moment, I felt like those guys probably felt in that video.

We've all been there. Unfortunately, in this day and age of camera phones, YouTube, etc., the embarrassing moments are now immortalized on video and in sound bites.
“'What was that note?' I told him it was a B natural, the third of G dominant 7 going back to C minor, and I can't talk while I'm playing so don't ask me any more questions." - Ron Carter to Miles Davis
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

I guess the "good" in this video is that they may strive to get better.
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009
johnnysain

Post by johnnysain »

Anyway,....I don't view this as a failed interpretation of a Pink Floyd song,........I see it as a successful tribute to acid.
fabandgear

Post by fabandgear »

gregga41 wrote:Saw this video on FB today! :shock:
Makes me feel a little bit better about my own musical capablities! :lol:
AMEN, brother, AMEN!!! :lol:
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

I think this might be one of those Rock & Roll Fantasy camp things, because it looks like they have all been playing for about 3 days.

At least they've got the stones to get up on stage.
To quote the Anti Nowhere League:
You criticise us, you say we're ****
But we're up here and we're doing it
So don't you criticise the things we do
Noone ********* pays to go and see you
Lemme graze into your veldt/ lemme stomple your albino/lemme nibble on your buds/ I'm your Love Rhino
johnnysain

Post by johnnysain »

captsandwich wrote:I think this might be one of those Rock & Roll Fantasy camp things, because it looks like they have all been playing for about 3 days.
Good guess,...it's actually known as the 'Rock 'n Roll Special Olympics'.
ram

Post by ram »

Well, all I can say is I have had my 'off nights'... I hope this was one of theirs.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

On the positive side, their video has received more than a half million hits! :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for your additional appraisals everyone. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
77jordan

Post by 77jordan »

wow i think the bass messed everything up!
nukebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by nukebass »

When I watched it, I thought they were more off time than anything else. The vocals were no worse than Waters, but, then again, I'm no fan of Roger Waters.

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”