These Little Gizzmos Keep Getting Better

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

winston
Membership Admin

Re: These Little Gizzmos Keep Getting Better

Post by winston »

I finally received mine. Wow! What a great little tuner. I love it. Thanks Jim for letting us know about these.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Glad to oblige, Brian.
JimK
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

These units are great for tuning up a bass too, as I quickly discovered. They make tuning the low E a breeze.

I also discovered something else about them that they don't advertise and that can really be put to good use in the right set of hands and ears. Any guesses as to what that is?
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

winston wrote:These units are great for tuning up a bass too, as I quickly discovered. They make tuning the low E a breeze.

I also discovered something else about them that they don't advertise and that can really be put to good use in the right set of hands and ears. Any guesses as to what that is?
Umm... oversize clip-on ear-rings???
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

antipodean wrote:
winston wrote:These units are great for tuning up a bass too, as I quickly discovered. They make tuning the low E a breeze.

Umm... oversize clip-on ear-rings???
:lol: :lol: :lol: ummm..............NO!

jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Well, let's see......the metronome function is advertised, there's no headphone jack, so that isn't it. Ah....but the SN-2 (the red one) has an internal microphone that can be used in note detection instead of the piezo. Is that what you're thinking of, Brian? Or there's a feature that allows you to tune your guitar while a capo is in place by pushing the flat button on the back of the unit. But I'm sure all these are covered. OK.....I'm stumped.
JimK
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I was waiting for you to respond Jim. There are actually two cool features that they don't mention.

When you play any single note fretted or not............it shows what that note is on the readout. A great feature for students learning scales IMO.

Here's the coolest feature. Because it senses vibrations and it is a visual aid (and let's not forget that it is very accurate) you can use it to intonate your guitar and get it spot on. I used it today on a guitar that had been giving me trouble because of some weird overtones that it produces. 5 minutes later I was finished and the guitar sounds great and the overtones are gone.

jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

JimK
ricaddic
Intermediate Member

Post by ricaddic »

I just bought two of them off amazon, I saw one of these the week before Christmas, my niece wants to learn how to play guitar and told me thats what she wanted for Christmas. so I bought her at a local music store an Ibanez jam pack acoustic guitar and the sales guy took the guitar out of the box to inspect it and tune it up and used one of these, I didnt give it much though and never asked about it, however your enorsement just sold two of them to me, thanks for the insight and shareing, take good care and stay safe..
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

winston wrote: Here's the coolest feature. Because it senses vibrations and it is a visual aid (and let's not forget that it is very accurate) you can use it to intonate your guitar and get it spot on.
I've found another use for this, along the same lines. I'm making a serious attempt at learning to play lap steel. If ever there was an opportunity to play out of tune, this is it - and the Snark is proving invaluable in helping me develop some accuracy, particularly when practicing slants.

My younger son is learning to play the fiddle - I'm going to buy him one for the same purpose.

Not saying other clip-on tuners *couldn't* do this - more that at $12 a pop, I don't see any reason to try anything else.
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

Mine arrived today as well. Very cool and quite pleased with the price. Thanks for the heads up Jim.

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”