Help: Shipping to Canada(BC) UPS or USPS?

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

octagon

Re: Help: Shipping to Canada(BC) UPS or USPS?

Post by octagon »

winston wrote:
octagon wrote:Buyer sent me a message saying he got the guitar and he is thrilled with it. He even sent me an extra $100 to cover the shipping. That is pretty cool.
Sounds like a great guy Mitch. Did he tell you how much the brokerage fee was?
Hi Brian,he didn't mention it. How much do you think it was? The declared value was $2499.
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Mitch - Do not charge the billing to your FedEx number, if you have one. Any receiver in Canada can refute the duty plus any other charges and then FedEx charges back to you. It is stated in FedEx rules. It's a nightmare! Pay shipping by cash or check - anyway where thay cannot bill you.
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

octagon wrote:
winston wrote:
octagon wrote:Buyer sent me a message saying he got the guitar and he is thrilled with it. He even sent me an extra $100 to cover the shipping. That is pretty cool.
Hi Brian,he didn't mention it. How much do you think it was? The declared value was $2499.
I have no idea what they might have charged him. I was told by a driver who came to my door with a parcel that they have a scale and it is based on value. That's why I was curious how much they charged him. I wanted to see if there is a cap. I paid $120.0 for my JG 350 a number of years ago. That was the last guitar or parcel I ever had shipped to me via UPS.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

octagon wrote:
winston wrote:

Can I play? My Chris Squire bass had a declared value of $3100 and I paid $169.00 in Brokerage fees. Based on that I am going to guess the fees were $140- $150.00
octagon

Post by octagon »

bartyclue wrote:
Can I play? My Chris Squire bass had a declared value of $3100 and I paid $169.00 in Brokerage fees. Based on that I am going to guess the fees were $140- $150.00
Are there other fee's,duty or taxes you have to pay if you buy a guitar from the USA ?
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

octagon wrote:
bartyclue wrote:
Are there other fee's,duty or taxes you have to pay if you buy a guitar from the USA ?

Depending on the item, you do sometimes have to pay duty although I have never made rhyme or reason to why it was subject and what wasn't. I think if it's a product you can buy in this country it is subject to duty. Don't quote me on this... I usually don't care what the associated costs are. If I ordered it... I want it.. I have to pay more I pay more.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

The application of duty is dependent on the tariff applicable to the "Most Favoured Nation" (MFN) status of the country in which the goods were manufactured. MFN status is a method of preventing discriminatory treatment among members of an international trading organization. MFN status provides trade equality among partners by ensuring that an importing country will not discriminate against another country's goods in favor of those from a third. Once the importing country grants any type of concession to the third-party country, this concession must be given to all other countries.

In the case of Rickenbacker and Gibson products that are made in the USA the application of duty is not applicable as they are covered under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Chapter Four part Two.

However different Provinces collect will most likely collect GST and PST through the carrier when the goods are "landed" in Canada (Alberta does not have PST) or alternatively HST (BC and Ontario) where applicable. On smaller value shipments the collection of taxes is quite often forgiven upon arrival by CBSA. Taxes on such shipments are applied at their discretion. The rule of thumb appears to be, if your small value parcel is opened for inspection then you will be charged an inspection or handling fee and any applicable taxes.

This is a bit of a murky subject for some so if anyone has any questions I will be happy to assist as far as I may be able.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”