Two jingles - no jangle

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Two jingles - no jangle

Post by beatbyrd »

Hi, I just posted a cover of what I think is the greatest song ever written specifically for a commercial. It's the "Sweet Dreams" song from the mid-80's Nestle chocolate TV ads. Now, I know I'm gonna catch some flak from the folks who think that the Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia tune is better. I do admit that song is catchy, but along with it comes the mental image of a family of mutants smearing peanut butter and grass seeds on a cheap clay pig, watering it, and waiting for the grass to grow. The Nestle commercial, on the other hand, has all of that Maxfield Parrish style to it and a few slo-mo images of young, pretty ladies, so for me, it's no contest. The song is the 6th one down on the page at: http://beatbyrd.com/misc_covers
Since the original is only 30 seconds long, I recorded two versions: the milk chocolate one and the white chocolate one (two jingles, get it?.....). It's keyboards and vocals only.
Admittedly, this one will appeal to a very small, niche audience. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
teb
Advanced Member

Re: Two jingles - no jangle

Post by teb »

Very cool! Actually, writing and producing commercials is really a good exercise. You have to get to the point and get the mood and feel of the thing established very quickly, with no time for messing around. Then you often wind up producing half a dozen different versions of the same thing to present to the client. I think some of our toughest group brainstorming sessions were for jingle lyrics, trying to figure out how to get the whole message into such a short time frame. It pays pretty well, too, and is kind of fun unless the client is sitting in the control room making suggestions, which makes everything ten times more difficult. Here are a bunch we did from the mid 1970s. Most of the executives we dealt with back then are retired by now, so we should probably see if we can sell them to the companies again. :mrgreen:

Incidentally, I cut all of these bass tracks on my old fretless Gibson, so for those who think fretless basses always have to have that modern, jazz-style "fretless" tone, think again.

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/M ... cials2.mp3
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Re: Two jingles - no jangle

Post by beatbyrd »

teb wrote:Very cool! Actually, writing and producing commercials is really a good exercise. You have to get to the point and get the mood and feel of the thing established very quickly, with no time for messing around. Here are a bunch we did from the mid 1970s.

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/M ... cials2.mp3
Hi Todd, I enjoyed that jingle medley very much. You guys had an Association kind of sound going on the "Dog and Burger Nation - Arby's" spot. In the 'What the heck were they thinking' department'...... Axe in Hand. Yikes (but funny). Now, aren't you glad that you kept those tapes around for all of this time? Thanks. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”