My friend Tom

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

ken_j
RRF Consultant

My friend Tom

Post by ken_j »

My good friend & great musician Tom lost his battle with cancer last Friday. I will not only deeply miss his friendship but also the opportunity to play guitar with him. He had been playing guitar for 54 years. Even though his ability was far beyond mine he always afforded me the time to play and learn. He leaves behind a wife of 25 years. I am deeply saddened.
img065.jpg
Tom is on the 335 Gibson in this video:

He also played on this recording:

"The best things in life aren't things."
admin
Site Admin

Re: My friend Tom

Post by admin »

Ken: I am so sorry to hear this as it is apparent that your friend played a very big part in your life. I am reminded that in sharing good times our joy is doubled and that in sharing a loss of a friend our grief is halfed. I will be thinking of you during these sad days and I know that Tom will be doing what he can at his end to strum along with you.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
krick
Veteran RRF member

Post by krick »

Sorry to hear this Ken.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I'm so sorry, Ken. I lost a friend this week, too, so I can relate to your sadness. Let's try to give it some time and be good to ourselves.
All I wanna do is rock!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

My sincerest condolences, Ken. It's tough to lose somebody close, and the best we can we can do to honor them is think of the good times. That's how we all want to be remembered, I think--with a smile or even a laugh.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

So very sorry for your loss, Ken. My sincere condolences.
Yeah, it's tough to lose a close friend. Diane and I just recently lost a best friend. This was a guy that was always there when we needed him. He had no family. We're going through a rough time, not just with grieving, but also trying to get his remains taken care of for the past 2 months.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

My condolences, Ken. :(
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

So sorry to hear this Ken. My deepest condolences.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I went to the memorial service last night. They showed a video of Tom just a few weeks ago performing at Gilda's Club. I also found out that he had a studio session the weekend before his passing. He had been on this project for about a year. I don't know if I will ever be able to hear any of this music. His roots were jazz but he did play rock too. He was also proficient on the bass, both fretted, fretless, and double bass. He was able to play right up to the end.
With a dry sense of humor and the ability to find the negative in most anything, it was appropriate that he passed on Friday the 13th. :lol:
RIP my friend.
With his new Martin in Dec. '07
With his new Martin in Dec. '07
Last edited by ken_j on Fri May 20, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ram

Post by ram »

My deepest sympathy and sincerest condolences to you all and Tom’s wife, for the loss of your dear friend. I truly believe that now he is closer to you than your own heart. I’m glad his battle is over but wish it could have ended differently. Revel in memory all the good times you all had. As Paul said "..with a smile or even a laugh!"
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

My sincere condolences Ken. I believe I know how hard the death of your friend Tom has hit you. As always you have my support and my prayers.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

As today is the one year anniversary of Tom's passing (Firday, 5/13/11) I though that I would post another video that Hugh put together a few months ago. Tom wrote this song. The tape of this is over 40 years old so the recording quality is not the best. I actually met Tom through Hugh who was a neighbor of mine growing up. Hugh attended the first Gilfest and owns the '72 4001 MG I have posted pics of in the past. Also below is a pic of myself with Tom, Hugh, and Frank (three Bishops) taken 8 to 10 years ago. Earlier this year the Bishops other guitarist, Rick, past away.

In the '70s Tom moved on and played/recorded with the jazz group Skat. Even though he played alot of rock, I believe jazz was number one.

img102.jpg
IMG_1559.JPG
krick
Veteran RRF member

Post by krick »

Ken, thanks for posting the video. It is a geat tribute.
DoubleThink

Post by DoubleThink »

krick wrote:Ken, thanks for posting the video. It is a geat tribute.
+ 100%
Rics ... and some other stuff....
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

DoubleThink wrote:
krick wrote:Ken, thanks for posting the video. It is a geat tribute.
+ 100%
I agree.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”