Busy With Change

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

incubus2432

Busy With Change

Post by incubus2432 »

I haven't been around here much lately. I check in most days but haven't had much to post about in regards to Rics and am usually late to the game if I happen to have an answer to a question so I mostly just lurk. I'm not sure if I'm still in my band or not (not knowing likely means that I am not :wink:). I still try to pull the LK out a few times a week to keep my speed and dexterity in check but things have gotten a tad busy lately.

First off I changed jobs at work. This is Jack, my new partner.......

.....he's a draft horse and is HUGE which is a good thing for him since, for those who haven't met me, I'm not exactly petite myself (slowly slimming but will never be small).

About 7 months ago I applied to be in our mounted unit and after several interviews somehow I got it. Usually these gigs go to someone connected or making a name for themselves. No connections here and I've burned just about every bridge I've crossed but my award winning personality has finally done the trick :twisted: . Our mounted unit is VERY small due to budget cuts years ago but the intent is to get it built up again and I am in at the early stages which is a good position to be in. I have very limited equestrian experience so I have my work cut out for me. I tend to resist change but I was just getting burned out and this is one of the few jobs that actually interests me so while I am frightened I am also quite excited.

Coincidentally the unit was also in the process of retiring a horse and luckily I was in the right place at the right time so I have a new addition to the family. Meet Blaze......

.......he's 21 years old and is officially ours. My wife has dreamt of having horses since she was a young lass and this is her first. The more I'm around these creatures the more I understand why she is so hooked. We are honored to give our new little buddy a place in the country to retire after working most of his life in the ghetto.

Last week a crew completed work on our barn.....

......not huge but will have room for three horses when complete. Initially we will only have a horse and a pony (retired from a riding facility my wife volunteers at) while we adapt to being full-time caretakers. Now all I have to do to get ready for when we bring them home at the end of July is spread and level 80-ish tons of gravel in the barn, build the stalls, add Dutch doors, run electric, and trench/bury water line from the house about 250' away. Some fence work is getting hired out since that would eat up too much time doing it myself and we're on a tight enough schedule as it is. All this while working (hard for a change 8) ) at the new job and side gigs for extra much needed cash. Good times, good times......
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: Busy With Change

Post by kiramdear »

From now on we'll just call you Hopalong! :lol: This is all nice news, Brian. Really happy for you that things have worked out so well. Don't worry, we'll hold your place here for you, but don't be a stranger. Check in whenever you can! :)
All I wanna do is rock!
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

Looks like the move has really worked well for you Brian!
Love the Horses!

emac.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Congrats on the new job! Though your equestrian experience is limited, I'm sure you'll get excellent training in a unit like that.

Hmmm, horses. Now there's a subject I know nothing about.
:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, OK, maybe just a bit. We've only had something like 100 of 'em over the years, but only 5 now. So, if you've got any questions, feel free to PM me...
8) 8) 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

Congratulations! You'll need to change your avatar as I don't see Jack and/or Blaze doing any burnouts. :mrgreen:
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
incubus2432

Post by incubus2432 »

wmthor wrote:Congratulations! You'll need to change your avatar as I don't see Jack and/or Blaze doing any burnouts. :mrgreen:
From 500-ish horsepower to 1. A bit of a change!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Congrats on the job and the new pet! :shock:

If you need horsy help our lead singer in The KARMA Kings has a couple and has been riding forever, I am sure Earle would be glad to get you up to speed. 8)
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Nice horse, put some horseshoes on his feet!
:lol: :lol:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

IvanMunoz wrote:Nice horse, put some horseshoes on his feet!
Are you implying that Brian's horse needs a pick-up? :mrgreen:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

jps wrote:
Well, Brian will need a pickup...

To haul the horse trailer and other such stuff around...
:lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

I've always likes horses. There was a horse stable and trail down down the street from where I lived in the Bronx. Would go riding all the time.
Enjoy you new work partner and you new buddy in your stable, Brian! :)
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I had no idea there were so many equestrian enthusiasts here. Count me among 'em. It has been over 20 years since I've had horses. And hardly a day goes by that I don't remember how much I miss them. Hope to hear from you as much as you can post.
JimK
incubus2432

Post by incubus2432 »

jps wrote:Congrats on the job and the new pet! :shock:

If you need horsy help our lead singer in The KARMA Kings has a couple and has been riding forever, I am sure Earle would be glad to get you up to speed. 8)
Thanks for the offer! Once I'm settled (whenever that is) I'll bring Jack down to meet Ted!
cjj wrote:Congrats on the new job! Though your equestrian experience is limited, I'm sure you'll get excellent training in a unit like that.

Hmmm, horses. Now there's a subject I know nothing about.

Well, OK, maybe just a bit. We've only had something like 100 of 'em over the years, but only 5 now. So, if you've got any questions, feel free to PM me...
8) 8) 8)
So far it's all been barn work and getting me to know the basics of dealing with the breed. Pretty much starting me from scratch.....next week I start riding and I guess it's a pretty accelerated program so I'm a bit nervous but in a good way.

Thanks for the offer of assistance!
cjj wrote:
jps wrote:
Well, Brian will need a pickup...

To haul the horse trailer and other such stuff around...
Got that covered.....

I've been spending extra time with Jack and feeding him carrots in hopes of bribing him into being gentle on me.....
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Puns Galore!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Nice truck, looks like it'll do the job. Here's one of ours with the big horse trailer:
Horse_trailer.jpg
Ah, drafties are almost always nice. Good solid, calm horses. You shouldn't have to bribe him much (but it never hurts)!

I suppose I should explain having 100 horses. We didn't have 'em all at once, I think the most we had at one time was about 38. You see, we were in the horse breeding business. When we sold the big ranch last year and "retired" to the new little place, my wife said we were getting out of horses (yeah right :roll: ) and we sold all but one, which we figured would go for more in the new location. Well, we're up to 5 now, one born a few weeks ago with that mare being bred back for another one...

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”