DIY Alternative Suggestions Wanted

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

jimk
RRF Consultant

DIY Alternative Suggestions Wanted

Post by jimk »

I'm certain that many of you have seen the various threads on other forums regarding DIY projects where the OP has built himself a pedal board from IKEA gorm shelving components. Pretty slick, and cheap, too. This of course, appeals to my <ahem>thrifty</ahem> Dutch nature. :mrgreen:

But there's a hitch. (Of course there's a hitch; otherwise I wouldn't have written this post, right?) You have to live near an IKEA store. And of course the nearest IKEA store to me is somewhere in Colorado. Rats! Stuck in Lodi, again.

So then, post your DIY pedal board photos complete with directions here please. I could use some advice on how to clean up this mess without shelling out $100.00-150.00 US.
Attachments
A mess o' cables and electrical cords
A mess o' cables and electrical cords
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: DIY Alternative Suggestions Wanted

Post by jps »

To start, given your <ahem>thrifty</ahem> Dutch nature :mrgreen: get a good, sturdy 2x4 about 18" long and just run 3" lag bolts through each pedal into the wide side (4" side) of the board. Whatever sticks out the other side of the board just cut off with a hack saw so as not to hurt anyone or anything with the sharp tips of those bolts. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: To ensure a nice looking finished pedalboard try and get some nice flamey wood. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

For the power side get a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power supply and using 10d nails secure the power supply to one end edge of the nice, flamey (or optionally, birdseye) maple 2x4 board. Consider epoxying the supply, too, to make sure it doesn't come loose from the side of the nice, flamey (or optionally, birdseye) maple 2x4 pedal board. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Finally gather up all the interconnects and bundle them together with Hefty® twist ties, that will provide the final professional touch to your <ahem>thrifty</ahem> Dutch style pedal board. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You might want to send this all to PW for his expert finishing, say, in Amber Fireglo. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Make sure he masks off the nomenclature for all the controls on each pedal, you wouldn't want to have all those pedals look tacky with the finish on them. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Sounds good. Minimal work/tools needed. One improvement I can think of to this particular project is the use of velcro to secure the stomp boxes to the 2X4. I like it.
JimK
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jimk wrote:One improvement I can think of to this particular project is the use of velcro to secure the stomp boxes to the 2X4. I like it.
JimK
Velcro® is how it's done on the expensive American made pedalboards! :shock:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

If you insist on using Velcro® then I'd suggest a piece of 1x12 18" long to mount everything on. If it is cupped along the short side all the better to provide an angle for the pedals to sit on, making it more ergonomic, just be sure to mount the pedals to the convex side.

Paint the board Jetmatte® to de-emphasize the <ahem>thrifty</ahem> Dutch nature of this project. 8)
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

jimk wrote:But there's a hitch. (Of course there's a hitch; otherwise I wouldn't have written this post, right?) You have to live near an IKEA store. And of course the nearest IKEA store to me is somewhere in Colorado. Rats! Stuck in Lodi, again.
Of course, if you were actually stuck in Lodi, it wouldn't be a problem since the nearest Ikea is only 40 miles away in Sacramento...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
tmossman

Post by tmossman »

I'll be at Ikea tomorrow. What size Gorm do you want?
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

tmossman wrote:I'll be at Ikea tomorrow. What size Gorm do you want?
Seriously?

The PedalTrain Jr. is 17" X 12½" There's a gorm shelf unit that is just a tad larger. I was going to use that one, plus a couple of shelf extensions. The finished project would look something like this:
JimK
Attachments
DIY Pedal Board6.JPG
DIY Pedal Board4.JPG
DIY Pedal Board1.JPG
tmossman

Post by tmossman »

jimk wrote:
Seriously?

Totally cereal.

The short Gorm shelf is discontinued (I think). The smallest current dimension is 30 3/8" x 12 1/4".

I have the shelf extensions sitting in the basement. Actually, I have a wide shelf down there too. pm me an address and I'll ship both of them to you.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Jim, try one of these:
Peach-Crate_1200.jpg
Look down! :mrgreen:
Further down! :lol:
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

tmossman wrote: I have the shelf extensions sitting in the basement. Actually, I have a wide shelf down there too. pm me an address and I'll ship both of them to you.
PM sent.
JimK
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Wow, you wasted no time putting the ROS into your setup, Jim. Like Paulie and the Dyna Comp, the ROS box IS seeing more action with you than it ever did with me! It's a nice looking setup, two Jangleboxes, that's a way to get an ultimate 12-string tone. I got your PM on how you like it, which was a detailed review...it was just for you and as with Paulie and the Dyna Comp, my mom asked me if I was sure I wanted to give it away. I said "[insert RRF member's name] will be much happier with it than me]" Remember, if you don't want it anymore, please contact me first, but I can already see you're not going to dump it anytime soon. And the black JB1 was at SCARF, if I'm right?

Getting it neat and NOT having a mess of cables everywhere...I have a little thingy that can hold up to 4 pedals, it's a little rack and it works just fine for what I do. I then keep all the wires from the OneSpot underneath the board. If you want I can post a picture of it to explain myself clearer.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I was there earlier today. I'm sorry to say that they are gormless, and have been for awhile. :mrgreen:
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

jimk wrote:I'm certain that many of you have seen the various threads on other forums regarding DIY projects where the OP has built himself a pedal board from IKEA gorm shelving components. Pretty slick, and cheap, too. This of course, appeals to my <ahem>thrifty</ahem> Dutch nature. :mrgreen:

But there's a hitch. (Of course there's a hitch; otherwise I wouldn't have written this post, right?) You have to live near an IKEA store. And of course the nearest IKEA store to me is somewhere in Colorado. Rats! Stuck in Lodi, again.

So then, post your DIY pedal board photos complete with directions here please. I could use some advice on how to clean up this mess without shelling out $100.00-150.00 US.
Are you handy with a saw, scissors, glue, staplegun, and a screwdriver? If so, build your own. No IKEA required, just a local lumberyard-y type place.

I Built my first pedal board out of plywood and 1x4 pine. I made two halves of a box with that. I used like grey outdoor carpet type stuff to glue over the wood, and bought amp corners, and latches and hinges from the hardware store. I had to cut the hinges so I could make them removable, hook-in style hinges, but they were cheap and not difficult to mod. I used that pedal board for about sixteen years before buying the "3rd largest pedal board in the world" from Pedal Pad.

If you want to clean up your power supply feed, buy a Boss tuner, power supply for it, and a "daisy chain"; you'll still need to mount a power strip in your pedal board, but you just have to run one line to the Boss tuner, because it has power in and power out jacks. You run an AC adaptor into the "power out" jack, and the daisy chain to the rest of you pedals into the "power in" jack. Industrial-sized, adhesive-backed velcro is available at your local fabric store. You'll probably still be out about $50-$60, maybe less, in materials by the time you're done though, to make a proper one.

Or you could just buy this powered pedal board for $40 off EBAY: http://cgi.ebay.com/POWERED-PEDAL-BOARD ... 153wt_1037
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Yeah, I'm handy with a staple gun, saw, scissors, glue, and a screwdriver, and even got a small drill press. I have a deal going with another forumite about some IKEA parts. I imagine they'll be arriving soon. I'll post pix.
JimK

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”