Rick or Treat

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: Rick or Treat

Post by cjj »

IvanMunoz wrote:Thats pretty cool, I've seen a bass trombone.
Mine is a Vincent Bach Stradivarius Model 50B. Bought is brand spankin' new in 1974 for $735...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

)I don't know much about brass instruments other than the playing, but I have heard the that name, and it is highly revered! Thats definatley a great deal in my opinion. Is it silver, You rarely see a silver trombone unless its a peashooter. My 8D is silver, and my others are brass., I also have an old piston valve frenchorn in silver I got it for $120USD a while back at an antiques shop. It looks something like this:
But Silver

My friend Steven a woodwind player (BAAAHHH! :lol: :wink: ) has a cannonball tenor vintage reborn series brute. I think its number 113 out of 250 made in the world.
Heres a pic of steven and I jamming in school. (Stevens the one on the right)
Steven 2.jpg
Heres what one of them looks like: (The colour)

He also has a hotspur alto sax, same brand.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Hey J Dog!
I searched French horn, and you came up...did you play in the school band?
I disagree when you said its the hardest brass instrument, Its definately the trumpet because of the mouthpeice. When I play trumpet, I just use my trusty conn 7BW horn mouthpeice with an adapter. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

IvanMunoz wrote:)I don't know much about brass instruments other than the playing, but I have heard the that name, and it is highly revered! Thats definatley a great deal in my opinion. Is it silver, You rarely see a silver trombone unless its a peashooter.
Well if you adjust for inflation, $735 in 1974 is about $3380 in 2011, so perhaps it wasn't such a deal, but I think it was well worth the price, I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it over the years. It's not silver, just plain old brass, but it's still in fantastic shape...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Ivan, you have my Mustang! I like the look of yours with the Jazz Bass covers on it. 8)
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jps wrote:Ivan, you have my Mustang! I like the look of yours with the Jazz Bass covers on it. 8)
Thanks, it really makes the bass "mine". :mrgreen:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I'd like to see better photos of the bass, please.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

I'll post some more later...its in school right now, so I'll just take my camera to school. Are you planning on doing the Munoz Mustang Mod My stepdad billy did an awesome job on putting the parts in. He's never had experience with guitars either...hes a carpenter.
For a reference to other members heres some pictures:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=402183&p=707292&hi ... ng#p707292
Its October 2007 BTW.
Jeff, just in case you are planning to do it, The tugbar came with screws and I used standard pickguard screws to install the covers. If you need a mockup for the placement of the tugbar, I could let you borrow this white pearloid guard that didn't fit (It was so close too!) it for reference. I'd be more than happy to help you. If you do want to do this cool mod (I suggest it) just PM me and I'll do all I can to help.
Also, I just shove some foam on top of the strings under the F ashtray as a mute.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

I'll probably have them up on Saturday because I have a football game (band) on friday until late. I'm putting the camera in my backpack right now. :mrgreen:
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Jeff, I'm posting the pictures (early) right now on the thread discussing my mustang. I wasn't allowed to take them in school, so I took the Stang home for the weekend.

Link: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=402183&p=707321&hi ... ng#p707321
If you want more, just tell me.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Thanks, Ivan. 8) It does add a whole lot to the bass. :)
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jps wrote:Thanks, Ivan. 8) It does add a whole lot to the bass. :)
Are you gonna do it, the new position of the picking hand takes a bit to get used to, but its worth it. I'll help you all I can, I highly suggest it.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I think the Mustang sounds best plucked close to the neck so a pickup cover would be a real possibility.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jps wrote:I think the Mustang sounds best plucked close to the neck so a pickup cover would be a real possibility.
I pick it more close to the bridge and have the tone know rolled almost to zero.

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”