Writer's Block

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

DoubleThink

Writer's Block

Post by DoubleThink »

For nearly a year now, I've had the toughest time coming up with a new, original tune. It's not that mine were necessarily remarkable creations, but it's great to find that groove, you know? And there was a groove. Sure, but I'm not feeling particularly groovy any longer. It's like all the chords, rhythms and progressions are the same old stale stuff I've played for the past decades.

I've tried composing through keys, switching up guitars and basses, trying out new percussions patterns, and composing through lyrics, but I'm getting dud after dud after dud. I'm studying a breadth of genres and old records for inspiration ... even some new ones, too. I'm playing other artist's material and using some of their ideas to root my compositions, but ... I don't know.... It feels like the spark is gone ... and that feels hollow. I'm at loose ends.

Short of a peyote moment with Don Juan, any suggestions?
Last edited by DoubleThink on Sat May 26, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rics ... and some other stuff....
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Re: Writer's Block

Post by beatbyrd »

I have no idea how to help, but last Wednesday, I was in a pizza shop that plays nothing but blues songs on their IPOD/docking station. The guy in one song sang something like, "I'm gonna get a shotgun and separate my brain from my head for a while". Can't say as I've ever been there. I've had OTHER folks suggest that particular course of action (former girlfriends, former girlfriends' parents, former bandmates, former bosses, a few RRFers, etc.), but I could never come up with something like that.
The point is: the guy who wrote that song somehow found some inspiration to put pen to paper. Whatever you DO decide to do..... do something different than that guy.
Hey, maybe you could take a song you don't care for and write a 'Weird' Al parody of it. It's a different kind of creative, but it's creative none the less. Best of luck. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

First, even though I have composed some music, I do not consider myself a good songwriter. Nonetheless, although I don't have any real solutions, I have thought about potential sources of inspiration and I'll share that here.

First, I have taken a song (usually one I like) and used a software program like Audacity (freeware), reversed the song, and played it backwards. There are sometimes interesting patterns (chords or 'lyrics') that emerge that, to me, could be a basis for a song.

Second, I daydream about 'what ifs' (could be from history, or personal life) and then think of a story about the scenario and jot down prose about it. I then take the prose and try to figure out how to adapt it to lyrics.

:)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Stephan, perhaps it is time to consider collaborating with another. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Badanovski

Post by Badanovski »

Sometimes the best thing to do is take a break. If you remain too focused for too long you lose sight of the fun. Take a vacation from playing for a week or 2. When you come back playing will be new again. Works for me. Of course your fingers may not do what you want for a couple of days. :mrgreen:
DoubleThink

Post by DoubleThink »

Thanks for the great suggestions.

Gary, I haven't thought to listen in reverse since the days I used a 4-track and reel-to-reel! Brilliant idea. Thanks for the reminder. I like your idea for lyrics, too, and I'll give it a go. Tom & Rock, I like the idea about chilling a bit and just letting it happen at it's own pace. Peter, you've hit the nail on the head.

Anyone in Toronto interested in trying out a collab?
Rics ... and some other stuff....

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”