Buying from Craigslist, top deal or death wish?

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

mcinally

Buying from Craigslist, top deal or death wish?

Post by mcinally »

Hi guys, I'm new to the RickResource forum, and thought I'd spark off with a bit of a controversial question amongst most people..

I've found a 381v69 going for pretty cheap, I'm currently living in Manchester, UK, and the seller is in London.
The chances are I'll meet this seller if I can catch a cheap train, but is there anything I should be skeptical over, or look for in particular when looking at Ric's? Or should I steer well clear of Craigslist in general?

Cheers.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Re: Buying from Craigslist, top deal or death wish?

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

Thomas

There have been a number of scam artists using CL in the UK... So I would be very careful of any deal that does not involve a face to face transaction.

(if you hear anything like the seller is working overseas, and the guitar is in the Shetland Islands etc) RUN!!!

Having said that I have bought guitars on Craigslist from the US through an RRF intermediary with success.

Dean in Montreal just bought a Glen Fry LE Bass for another forum member...
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 MG 450
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
mcinally

Post by mcinally »

I've heard plenty of horror stories involving CL, which has kept me at bay for a couple of weeks before making any final decisions.

I suppose if a forum member would be willing to assist me that would be great, and beneficial to both me and the seller if it is legitimate.
8mileshigh

Post by 8mileshigh »

£1250 seems pretty cheap! Unless you can pick it up in person, I'd give it a wide birth. I'm sure I've seen this for sale on eBay very recently for double that, so I think it's a scam. Half of those listed at the moment are scams.

Also. I'd be careful about posting anything here in case someone buys it before you! :wink:
scotty

Post by scotty »

Yeah Grahams right that was for sale a few weeks ago i think its the guy from the Isle of Man? IIRC he normally sells a few ricks im sure the regulars in the UK will know who i mean.This was for sale about £2220 IIRC.this looks like a scam its too cheap to be true.I certainly wouldnt waste time pursuing this.. :roll:

now on the other hand theres a minty fresh BBR 330 for sale in Gumtree in Glasgow :mrgreen:

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”