Tony Cabibe to the front desk, please!

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

ajish4
RRF Moderator

Re: Tony Cabibe to the front desk, please!

Post by ajish4 »

It looks FANTASTIC JEFF!!!

Thanks for posting those pics!

I really like that bookshelf in the corner cabinet, that is a GREAT IDEA! And that range hood! Woof, glad Janey doesn't visit the forum! :wink:

I'm off the hook for the kitchen remodel, for a while anyway. :roll:

We're SERIOUSLY considering downsizing to a smaller place. IF the kids stay out of the nest for another year or two, we're thinking (GASP) a condo!!!
I promised the Mrs if we find a place she likes, she can gut the kitchen and build it from the ground up. Problem is, she wants something short of a commercial kitchen! Not sure how practical that would be in a condo?

With any luck, I'll have a few shekels left go get myself a few new toys! :mrgreen: I HOPE!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Thanks, Tony! This kitchen was a long time coming, but i am glad we took our time figuring things out. The white oak flooring is original to the 1930 house, it had been covered over by layers of vinyl tiling for at least 60 years which helped keep it in decent shape; everything else was gutted to the studs. We had a chimney and laundry chute removed to give us room to put the refrigerator next to the stairs. You may note that there is a small valance panel above the fridge (below the cabinets) and a narrow door to the fridge's right side. If we remove those panels the box is sized for a modern full size refrigerator, making that future proof. And, the Best range hood is powerful enough (and great looking IMHO) for a pro style range eventually, although Sepp has been talking me out of stainless steel appliances (cue Sepp.....).
ajish4 wrote:IF the kids stay out of the nest for another year or two, we're thinking (GASP) a condo!!!
Ahh, the Great American S-cape Plan!!! :mrgreen:
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Look very nice, Jeff! :)
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

rickenbrother wrote:Look very nice, Jeff! :)
Very nice, well done!

So, what's the issue with stainless?
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
8mileshigher

Tony Cabibe to the front desk, please!

Post by 8mileshigher »

Well done, Jeff !! I'll bet this project completion was a big hit !! :)
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Having seen the kitchen in the before state a couple times, this is a very beautiful and useful makeover. You obviously thought about the design and look you wanted a lot. How about coming to the Zoo and designing a new kitched for Irene and I? :lol:
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I'll echo all the comments and say a fabulous job, Jeff! I can show you MY kitchen...it's disgraceful :evil: :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

JakeK wrote:I can show you MY kitchen...it's disgraceful :evil: :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:
JA would agree that that could describe our before kitchen, too! :wink:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Thanks guys, this was actually a lot of fun to create, with lots of research late into many nights figuring it all out (I had no idea there were so many knobs and faucets out there.....). I have to (plug coming up) give a lot of credit to Robert Schwarz, our contractor, who put up with my obsession for detail. :mrgreen:

John, let's talk! :mrgreen:
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

That looks great Jeff!! Last time we spoke you were going through tons of choices. I love the view towards the fridge with the microwave cubby. Very retro-mod feel. 8) 8) 8)

Congrats on a succesful project!
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Thanks, Dean. It is really nice to see a long visualized plan in "the flesh", very satisfying. :D
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

ajish4 wrote:I really like that bookshelf in the corner cabinet, that is a GREAT IDEA!
Those shelves took many revisions to "the Plan" to get there. That corner of the cabinets was pretty crowded with the range hood and microwave cabinet protruding from the corner area which was originally going to have doors. But, how to make the doors work and not create a narrow tunnel when they were opened or make it hard to reach in with them not getting in the way was a real problem. Houzz.com was a major key to figuring things out; browsing through the thousands of photographs on that site helped me find solutions to various things, like seeing open shelves in various configurations, and getting ideas like the spice racks on either side of the range. 8)
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

jps wrote:
JakeK wrote:I can show you MY kitchen...it's disgraceful :evil: :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:
JA would agree that that could describe our before kitchen, too! :wink:
I wouldn't be that harsh. It was just really dated, like back to when the house was built.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I would have liked to have seen what it looked like when the house was new, we made some discoveries along the way during demolition.

The kitchen you saw was the result of some "remodeling" done in the early to mid '60s or so. The only thing that we kept from the old kitchen was the old Chicago faucet (besides the range and refrigerator which we are still using as those were fairly recent purchases), to maybe be repurposed in a future project.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I like what you did getting rid of the chimney and laundry chute - a lot of room recovered in a smaller kitchen.

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”