NATIONAL RECORD STORE DAY !!!!!!

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

fluffy
Intermediate Member

NATIONAL RECORD STORE DAY !!!!!!

Post by fluffy »

Here in the States, today is a very special day.It is RECORD STORE DAY... so please PLEASE I beg you... make it out today and buy a record at your local record store... not download the mp3,not order the cd from Amazon... go support your local economy and generally cool places to hang out and meet new people.... If your lucky yours might even have something going on like performances or signings
I'm just a little excited because my good friend/singer for a band I'm in owns a record store and yes, even in little ol' Port Angeles we have a great day of local bands and festivities planned.
♪♫♪♫I need new strings, these ones have a bunch of dang wrong notes on 'em ♫♪♫♪

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/thesubtleties
fluffy
Intermediate Member

Re: NATIONAL RECORD STORE DAY !!!!!!

Post by fluffy »

I stand corrected.... it's not just National, it's Record Store day where ever you live!!!!!

cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

We don't have a local record store...
:(

I always liked going to record stores, kinda miss them. I guess that's what this day is all about, keeping the record stores that still exist going...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
fluffy
Intermediate Member

Post by fluffy »

cjj wrote:We don't have a local record store...
:(

I always liked going to record stores, kinda miss them. I guess that's what this day is all about, keeping the record stores that still exist going...
I remember my very first record I ever bought with my own money.. it was KISS ALIVE and I got the money by helping my Grandpa around the yard. Then in my teenage years riding my bike clear across town to blow my allowance on records... quite the task manipulating handlebars and a 12" record at the same time... but it was possible!!! :lol:

rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Where is there a record store?
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

We've got 4 here in Costa Mesa!
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Danotron wrote:We've got 4 here in Costa Mesa!
I know there are some still around, but it's not like it used to be, with at least one record shop in every city neighborhood and a large section in every department store dedicated to records.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
collin

Post by collin »

What's a record?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

collin wrote:What's a record?
It's what you do to a cord, again. get it, re-cord. :mrgreen:
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Alas, we sold ours in 1993. Sure do miss it. Twas lots of fun while it lasted. :(
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I used to spend a lot of time (and what money I had) browsing through new and used records at a wonderful record & book store while I was in college. 'Course, in the '70s, a "download" was unheard of and you only got a CD at a bank...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Post by chrisdski »

John Densmore was at our local event.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/fired-u ... 04-21.html

and an interview with him earlier in the week

http://www.pressherald.com/life/go/the- ... 04-18.html
Len

Post by Len »

I had a good time yesterday, saw a good band and bought a few LPs. I shop at record stores all the time. I bought a Rush double LP that I haven't seen previously, it was recorded in Cleveland in 1974. Sounds great, you can really hear Geddy's Rickenbacker.
rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Post by rickboy88 »

Ah, records. I remember building up my Beatles collection of U.S. re-issues in the late 70's at a local drugstore where I grew up in NW Indiana. There was a record store in Hammond, IN where they stocked imports, including 45's. Most of the imports were from the U.K. and Japan. I remember being introduced to EP's for the first time then. I still have all of those records down in the cool basement, but my wife's craft stuff is blocking it from easy access. I still keep a turntable in the living room. It is connected to the home theater system with an RIAA phono pre-amp I purchased online. I think the amp is always plugged in and powered up, so I need to probably not do that.
My parent's original Sgt. Peppers LP came with me when I left home, so it is down there was well.

When I was a kid, I'd listen to my parent's records on a old 60's turntable and a 60's Knight kit low power tube amp. The tube amp was built by my Uncle. I grew up with those 60's pop songs. My father would usually buy one LP a week, including the Rolling Stones, Three Dog Night, etc. I ended up with a collection of original Beatle's American LP's when my mom's cousin gave them to me. I was just at the right age to start taking better care of records. I think I have two of the original VeeJay "Introducing the Beatles" with different covers and the mono sounds very good.

I don't remember buying records much after the late 80's. CD's were initially very expensive then when you adjusted for inflation, so a guy I worked with ran a loaner list where people would loan out there CD's for others to listen to.

Once a year, there is a "Nuts and Volts" expo in the Denver area (I think that is the name). The older guys like me are mainly checking out the 70's audio equipment, old radios, etc., but I notice that it is mainly younger people checking out the used records. I'll give them a look as well...
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”